Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer wont start

• Please log in to reply

saby

saby

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello, my daughter has a computer compaq. When she goes to turn it on it keeps showin the error message (the main black and white one) where it gives u some options such as "start up windows normally" or "start up with las good configuration" something like that. which ever she chooses it will start to load for a sec then it restarts itself and goes back to the same thing over and over. Then finaly she got to a new window optoin and a blue and white screen came up about how it wont start windows because something is causeing a problem and it might have been from something recently dowloaded into the hardware. the only thing that was recently was excel. she nvr downloads anything that isnt lincenced. or much of anything really. she tries to avoid the whole virus thing. Do you think you culd help out please? thanks marion

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

Make Compaq
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

saby

saby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello.
its a windows xp compaq presario
its about 3-4 yrs old.

aand idk the rest.

The only thing recently installed was windows excel, word. ect.
it was workin fine'ish this morning but recently its been restarting it self.
i only use the computer for wow lol XD and exel for business.

usualy it resarts itself once every half hour or so on its own. it wont shut off but
u can hear the system make a noise and then i know cuz it freeze then its fine. but
then it started to do it like every 5-10mins. then i was deleting icon short cuts b/c i just
had to many in the way. and i doubled clicked in this microsoft word type of thing but before
it started to download i cancled it cuz i didnt mean to. the only thing i think it culd be is
the exel my stepdad put it (but he will deny it) or that think i acidently clicked cuz thats wen it froze
so i thought ok ill jus restart it. and thats wen i couldnt get back on. idk wat my mom said about it cuz
she was trin to find help for me for my computer but wen i go to turn it back on u know that black and white
screen u can sometimes get wen u shut off your computer? where it says how u want to start it back up? and
the choices are "start up normaly" or "last good configuration" well w/e i pick it starts to load nd do its thing
but then it resarts and it goes back to the same screen. well right before it does that another screen pops up and i clicked
some thingy realy fast and i got that blue screen were it says "a problem has been dected and windows has been shut down to prevent
damage to your computer blah blah blah. well i found a website that was supose to walk me through it and there was a step in there
that it didnt have on my computer like it wont due wat its supose to do. XD and eather way i end up at that dam black and white
screen again :\ sry this is alot to read i hope i put it to where u can understand it lol.
u fink u culd help ? XD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well lets see if we can find the culprit causing your problems. Follow the next steps in order and reply back with results of each

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloadedand run it
Put a tick in accept thenclick on next
Put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder then click next
Put a tick in create a desktop icon then click on install and make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed before clicking finish
Click Analyze ...
It will want to download the debugger and install it...say yes...
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to
Start and then click on Run and 2: Type in eventvwr.msc
Press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
Include as a attachment in your next reply
If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire . Register and upload your file. Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

saby

saby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well i would do that.. but i cant get on my computer.
As soon as i turn it on its that black screen. i am unable to do
anything else. anything i tell it to do such as "start up windows normally"
it will jus take me back to that screen again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK sorry old timers moment.
Do you have the original recovery cd for the system? If so we can try some things without being in windows.

saby

saby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Not that i know of :\
ill c if my stepdad has any. but for now
i have to get goin. got work tommaro. umm
ill c if i can get any cd's or somthng and hopefuly
get back to u. tyvm for effort nd help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look on the system there should be a sticker with the registration number and what version of windows you had originally installed.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Not being able to boot makes troubleshooting much harder. Sorry to step in a little rshaffer.

Click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig, and follow the instructions to make a bootable disc that allows you to work with the recovery console.

Then click on "Repair Common Windows Problems" in my sig, and follow the steps there, using the CD you burned earlier.

That should make your system bootable again. Tell me what error code is on the blue and white screen you see.