Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Dumanated

Dumanated

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi all. I am interested in upgrading my PC primarily used for gaming. I am looking to spend right around $200 maybe a little more. I was thinking of getting a new video card and likely a new power supply. I posted a similar question about a month ago but had a sudden decrease in capital and had to hold off. Should I stick with what was recommended then or are there better offers now?

Here are my specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 420 2.21 Ghz
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
M2N-SLI Mobo DDR2
Thermaltake tr2 430w

Here is the older post:
http://www.geekstogo...rd-t227708.html

Advertisements

Dumanated

Dumanated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Also I saw these and wanted to know if they were good and would work.

THanks

Video Card

Power Supply

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Dumanated,

I wouldn't recommend the Rosewill power supply because it doesn't meet the video card requirements of 36A on the +12V rail and its also not a very trusted brand.

You can chose between the two however Corsair is the better brand but you can see that its more expensive.

Corsair 650W - $99.99 (with a $20 Mail-in-Rebate)
OCZ StealthXtream 600W - $69.99 (with a $10 Mail-in-Rebate)

If you want to save some money, I would suggest you pick a different video card, look at this hierarchy chart to compare different video cards and how they perform.

Hope that helps,
Kamille

Dumanated

Dumanated

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I bought the OCZ power supply and the original video card i saw. It works great. A bit larger than I was anticipating. Easy install though. Thanks for your help. I am noticing a problem now however. I have lost audio after the installation. I checked the control panel and everything seems in check. I'm worried it might be hardware related to the install. Any ideas?