Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Fam

• Please log in to reply

Pennylee

Pennylee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After a discussion about the Conficker virus, I turned to my Updates to see if this programme was working
properly. Although I do have an automatic 3 am time for updates, I found a 248 mb one waiting for download
( and it said the time would be ONE MINUTE). I started the download, which was at glacial speed (my present
speed is throttled until May) but had to abort when I needed to send an urgent email.

Bearing in mind that I am not skilled at this, is there in fact a better method of downloading KB951487?
Is it a vital download?

This is my first question on your site. Thank you for reading this. Penny

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The estimated time of downloading anything from Microsoft's site is often so inaccurate you may as well just not bother taking any notice of it.
Do bear in mind you could send your email while that update was downloading, it's not going to hurt anything.

The other issue with KB951487 is that while you can download it manually and install it yourself, it'll keep appearing on Windows Update until you've installed it from there for some strange reason.

Pennylee

Pennylee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you, Neil, for your response. I think I will choose a different time, maybe night, and just bite the bullet
and run it.

Whether by coincidence or not, my email system became almost paralysed when I tried to send an
urgent, detailed email and at the same time had the download running. The broadband system I have is
slow anyway and becomes slower when it is throttled. I do regular cleaning, etc., as advised and am not short of space. The Government has promised better broadband - a nice thought. Penny.