Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp photosmart c6280 all in one will not scan

• Please log in to reply

smokebone5

smokebone5

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi
not sure how to explain this but please help...
i have a windows vista computer, and a hp c6280 all in one printer which have worked fine for about 6 months now
untill yesterday that is, for no reason at all i cannot scan, the printer works fine , i have tried taken everything off then re trying but each time i do this it loads to 96% then says fatal error, the printer still works fine but the scan still no luck..
cheers

Advertisements

st0ll3n

st0ll3n

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Smokebone5

I am taking it, that the fatal error comes from the software side. Is the fatal error a blue screen fatal error, or is it a program crash? I assume you are putting your doc in the machine, and actually scanning from the computer? Or do you push a button on the copier to scan? Either or, are you getting the error on the computer or copier (most copiers don't have that message, but I have to ask)? If so Sometimes removal of the scanning software, and reinstallation of the Latest and Greatest, will usually take care of most printer/scanner problems on the computer side. The Latest and Greatest, is available at the hp website.

Also, I would have you're vista os examined for malware/spyware, as those tend to be problems in themselves, and yea reinstalling the latest and greatest may take care of your immediate problem, but with mal/spyware, you might have more problems down the road.

Mike
(edit for spelling/grammer)

Edited by st0ll3n, 27 April 2009 - 07:32 AM.

smokebone5

smokebone5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Smokebone5

I am taking it, that the fatal error comes from the software side. Is the fatal error a blue screen fatal error, or is it a program crash? I assume you are putting your doc in the machine, and actually scanning from the computer? Or do you push a button on the copier to scan? Either or, are you getting the error on the computer or copier (most copiers don't have that message, but I have to ask)? If so Sometimes removal of the scanning software, and reinstallation of the Latest and Greatest, will usually take care of most printer/scanner problems on the computer side. The Latest and Greatest, is available at the hp website.

Also, I would have you're vista os examined for malware/spyware, as those tend to be problems in themselves, and yea reinstalling the latest and greatest may take care of your immediate problem, but with mal/spyware, you might have more problems down the road.

Mike
(edit for spelling/grammer)

hi st0ll3n

thanks for your reply

ok i have scanned the computer for mal/spy and its still not loading , i have also tried to down load from the internet with exactly the same results stops loading right at the end .
the error box is small with a red cross
i think it must be the computer not the software as i have scanned the cd and no problems

cheers

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I would check to see if the printer is still under warranty, and if so I'd suggest that you return it for repair under that warranty.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the software should have fixed any issues with the system, the only thing left to check would be the cabling between the printer and the computer (and I wouldn't expect that to occur during the scan).

You could also check it by installing it on another computer to see if it works correctly there.