Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Broken Hinge on Compaq Notebook

• Please log in to reply

juicie

juicie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've had a Compaq Presario notebook for a little more than two years, and it has given me little to no trouble until recently. The problem is the hinges that hold the monitor up on either side. The one on the right has a crack in it, and part of the left one has come off. I was afraid that my only solution would be to buy a new laptop, until I found a website that sells replacement parts, and it has the one I need. Is there a chance that I can fix my laptop by replacing the hinges, or is it hopeless? The model number of the laptop V5303NR. Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if all that's broken is the hinges then it should be a moderately easy fix.....be forewarned that it's usually pretty difficult to get the hinges on/off of some laptops...and sometimes it requires A LOT more disassembly than you'd expect..if you're not 100% confident that you can get the things off and on without making the issue worse you may want to see what a local repair shop would charge to put the hinges on if you bought them and brought them in with the laptop

juicie

juicie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the fast reply. Taking the laptop apart was actually my biggest concern, as I know next to nothing about the internal workings of computers. Thankfully, the hinge does seem to be the only thing that's broken, so I'll take it to a shop before I try to fix it myself.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Some laptops are easier than others as Dsenette said. I have replaced the hinges on 6 laptops now (Mine, The wifeys, friends and family etc. over the years). The easiest to replace was my moms, which had 6 screws on the body of the laptop and 4 next to the screen. VERY EASY.

The WORST was the wifes. The hinges extended underneath the keyboard all the way down to the palm rest and up the sides of the screen. You literally had to take the WHOLE laptop apart both screen and open the body. That was a mess.