Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can not run programs downloaded from internet explorer

• Please log in to reply

sniderman

sniderman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my computer is freshly reformatted with windows vista and i tried to download some programs using internet explorer. some programs i tried to get include itunes, avast, and firefox. after each one downloads, i click run, and message appears saying that it can not verify publisher, following this nothing happens and i cant start or run the downloaded application.

any help would be greatly appreciated, as i had my computer reformatted to rid myself of annoying problems like this, although it could be something simple that i just cant figure out

thanks

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
After it says it's cannot verify the publisher, there should be an option to continue the installation anyway. Do you get that option? Do you get any error messages?

How did you format your computer in order to reinstall Windows? Did you reformat/repartition the hard drive, or just the partition that Windows is installed in. (I'm wondering about lower level viruses with this question).

sniderman

sniderman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
after the download finishes it sais "the publisher cannot be verified. are you sure you want to run this software? the choices being Run and Don't Run. when i click on run, nothing happens, it just closes but the setup application is still on my comp. i tried to open this setup again while it is in the download folder, the same error message came up.

i had a reformat done because it was getting really slow, and a friend of mine ran some scan saying there was spyware/adware and his suggestion was to get it reformatted. I took his advice and had it reformatted by anotherr friend who, to my knowledge just put in a windows cd and he told me he was making it as though i just bought the computer again.

the original topic of problems on my comp was raised in these forums by my friend who suggested reformat, which can be found here

http://www.geekstogo...56#entry1522156

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I'd suggest having the Malware team take a look. You can post over here: http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

If that shows that you're clean, then I'd have to suggest a repair install of Vista, or DBAN'ing the drive, then installing Windows clean.

Let us know how it turns out and we'll move on from there.