Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking AMD Athlon 2400+ xp 2ghz

• Please log in to reply

yamalow

yamalow

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
dont know how and was looking for help or a good guide.

heres all my components:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2ghz A socket processor
-
First International Computer AM37 motherboard with Pheonix Technology, LTD 6.0 Bios
512mb PC2700 @166mhz RAM(slot 1)
256mb PC2100 @133mhz RAM(slot 2)

let me nkow anything else if you need it.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,

My name is Cbarnard I hope I may be of some assistance to you.

Please keep in mind this is not our job and I'm not here 24\7. It can take a little bit of time for me to reply back to you, if it has been more than 48hrs since a reply, please PM me and I will be with you as soon as possible.

With that said lets take a look.

You have 2 different types and sizes of ram in the computer(not good to do)

Your computer only supports:

2 DDR DIMM Sockets Up to 2GB
PC1600/2100 DDR SDRAM

I would not recommend OC'ing this computer at all.

The best thing you can do is to upgrade to 2 gb of PC-2100 ram.(maybe then you could consider OC'ing it)

The computer it is old I wouldn't push it to much.

Obviously this is my opinion. If you have any questions I would be happy to assist you further.

Good luck, sorry this is not the answer you wanted

Cbarnard

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ok so your saying that the problem isnt the cpu it is the ram. My other computer which the hdd went bad on had 1gb of ram but a 3.2ghz dual core processor and it was a lot faster then this temporary computer. I wanted to overclock for two reasons. It is temporary for me and if i was able to make faster i was going to give it as a gift to my brother.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
The cpu can be OC'd a little bit like 200mhz you will see negligible difference in performance. The best upgrade would be the ram...

Another limiting factor is the BIOS, if it doesn't allow you to adjust the timings you are stuck at your default speeds(dictated by the CPU)

Have you thought about replacing you HDD they are cheap $60 for 500gb you would be back in to your original computer...

If your brother doesn't have a computer a 2ghz will be pretty nice. I have a 2ghz dell I run Linux on and it is more than adequate, and only has 512mb of ram.

I hope this helps

Good luck

Cbarnard

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i had gotten another hdd but i could not seem to get an os onto it so it would run again.

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
This machine can most definitely be overclocked.

I agree with cbarnard though. Get more memory and see how it goes.

My main machine that I am using at home is almost 9 years old. It is a AMD Athlon XP 1800. Its original clock speed was 1.6Ghz, I have it overclocked to 1.9Ghz. Not much of a difference, but enough. Keep in mind that I did this back when the machine was new. I also am running 1.5GB of ram on my system. It was all top-of-the-line stuff at the time. :)

Depending on the core that you have, you might need to take out the CPU and do the "pencil trick" on it. You have to do this on some of the old Athlon cores because the traces that control the FSB and multiplier limits were laser cut at the factory to limit the amount of OC. Check online and see if you need to and how to do this as there are several documents about it. Be careful, though, as connecting improper traces can destroy your CPU. Once you do that, if you have to, then you can use the BIOS or jumpers on the MB to control the FSB and multiplier settings. If your MB does not support OCing, then you might not even be able to OC, so check that first.

Also do not try to OC this chip if you are still using the stock CPU cooling solution. This is the fastest way to burn out your CPU. I have a MONSTER heatsink on mine which I lapped and polished to get the best thermal transfer surface and I am still running in the low 50 degree C range.

Let me know if you need more info or have questions and also let us know how it goes!

Good luck, man!

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
i put a new heatsink from one of my other older comps that was much larger. also i set up 2 fans so it has new cold air blowing directly on it and then it goes strait out of my system. It is running at about 34deg C atm.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
hi

I guess I should have specified...

With your current setup I wouldn't OC.

I have a dell computer that will not let me OC it at all. Your Bios may let you. I would have to know what options you are given in the Bios to help you in this endeavor.

You will see some difference, in speeds but not a great deal. It will shave a couple seconds at most off of some of the computing test like Super PI.

I don't like to push an OC to much that is why I said 200+ it would give you a 10% OC. I like to have a relatively stable platform. You can typically push an OC to about 15% or about 250mhz. Some computers can go way more.

But I would definitely have good cooling.(it sounds like that is fine)

Only thought is:

Was the Heatsink you took from the other computer compatible with this one, and did you use thermal paste?

You definatly want intake and exaust fans. I use 4, 2 for each function.

My current main unit is an AMD 7750 I have it OC'd from 2.7ghz to 3.15ghz but I can't push it any further currently

Good luck

I hope I have been some help to you

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 28 April 2009 - 10:03 PM.

yamalow

yamalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
ok all good information. Thanks for the time ive decided against OC and going with more ram for now. If it shows a great increase i probably wont need to OC. Thanks for all of your help tho.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
No problem always willing to help

Good luck if you need any more assistance please don't hesitate to come back

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
edit.

Sorry

Edited by cbarnard, 01 May 2009 - 01:09 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
edit

Edited by cbarnard, 01 May 2009 - 01:08 AM.