Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Microsift Office 2007

• Please log in to reply

munleyj

munleyj

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Is there a formula format that you can tell Excel to only use every other column or row? If so, what is it?

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Yes, but it depends what you are trying to do. Any more information?

munleyj

munleyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have several columns with temperature data. I need to find the highest minimum temperature in a in a row.

Example:

_____Year________________

High Low
Day X X
X X

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
To find the highest number in a range, use =MAX(range). For the lowest number, use =MIN(range)

So to find the highest number in a column of numbers from B2 to B10, use =MAX(B2:B10)

munleyj

munleyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I understand that. I need to find the highest minimum and the minimum column is every other column. How Do I set the formula to omit every other column? Its High Low High Low. I want to find the highest minimum of the lows going horizontaly with out typing each cell. Is that possible?

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
One way...

Select/highlight all the high temperatures in a row (press and hold the Ctrl key while clicking on all the relevant cells).
When all the cells have been selected, click in the Name Box (top left of the spreadsheet, showing the last cell selected).
Type a name, say, HighsX (where X is a row or day or whatever you use to identify different rows)
Do the same for all the low temperatures in a row and type a name, say, LowsX

Then use the formulae as needed =MIN(HighsX), =MAX(LowsX)

munleyj

munleyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I am not very good at this. Whats another way. Here is the file. I want to find the highest low in a row for any given day.

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Another way...

Start typing in the formula in the cell at the end of the row where you want the highest low to appear =MAX(

Then click on the first low cell, say that's B3. The formula will look like =MAX(B3

and press the comma on the keyboard. The formula will look like =MAX(B3,

Now click on the next low cell, say that D3. The formula will look like =MAX(B3,D3

and press the comma on the keyboard. The formula will look like =MAX(B3,D3,

Do the same for all the low cells. After clicking on the last low cell, press the close bracket on the keyboard so the formula will be something like =MAX(B3,D3,F3,H3,J3)

Press Enter.

Then do the same for the high cells.

munleyj

munleyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have 32 column for the lows. It tell me I have too many arguments than is allowed in teh current cell format. What dioI do. I just need it for the Lows for any given day (horizontally).

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
The first option would work.

munleyj

munleyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I don't understand or how to do it.

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Open your spreadsheet.

Do you know where the Name Box is? Here's a picture: http://www.cpearson....el/NameBox.aspx
As you move around the spreadsheet, the name box shows the active cell. Are you OK with that?

You need to create a named set of data.

Let's say you have a spreadsheet with days/months going down column A with High Low alternating in B/C, D/E, F/G in years. Something like:

..............High Low........High Low
01-Jan......29....6............32....14
02-Jan......26....4............28....10
03-Jan......33...12...........29.....9

First, set the name for the 01-Jan Highs. Click on the cell with 29 then, holding down the Control key, click on the next 01-Jan High figure (32). Keep clicking (selecting) all the High temperatures for 01-Jan until they are all selected.
With all the 01-Jan High temperatures still all selected, release the Control key and click into the Name Box.
Type High01Jan (or a similar unique name) and press Enter. Now when you refer to High01Jan, Excel knows you mean all the cells you previously selected.
To see how this works, go to the end of the 01 Jan row, where you want to display the maximum high temperature, and type =MAX(High01Jan)
Obviously, if you want the minimum high temperature for 01 Jan, you would type =MIN(High01Jan)

Repeat the naming process for all the Low temperatures for 01 Jan, selecting all the low temperatures and then typing Low01Jan in the Name Box. Then use =MAX(Low01Jan) and =MIN(Low01Jan) as needed.

Repeat the naming for each day/month so you would have names of High02Jan, Low02Jan, High03Jan, Low03Jan, etc.

OK?