Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Laptop Fan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

joehicks

joehicks

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been wondering why I cant feel the blowing coming out of the vent in my laptop. When my laptop is off, I take a look at the fan and it looks ok, when I turn my laptop on, it spins but i can barely feel any air blow. My laptop gets very hot after like 30 minute of it turn on........ errr........... I just want advice to see how to fix this weird problem. >.> :)

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
More than likely it is dust clogging the vents. GEt some compressed air in there and blow it out.

If it is easy, as many modern laptops are, you can usually remove a cover on the bottom and pull out the heatsink and really clean it out.

This procedure has to be done every 6 months to every couple of years depending on a wide range of factors.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 27 April 2009 - 07:34 PM.

joehicks

joehicks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanx........... :) i dont really see any dust though..

I got this laptop since Black Friday last year..... which is about 6 months ago >.> lol

thanx for the tip :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Download Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

After 30 min. of activity record the temps and fan speeds.
Also after 30 min. make an Everest Report (Click on "Everest Instructions" in my sig, and follow the steps)

joehicks

joehicks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My laptop reached 100 Celcius.. is that too hot?? and its only after 40 minute of playing...
it never been like this before
>.>
i cant play game much anymore :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
That is very hot for a cpu.

Heat seems to be the problem for you.
http://www.hardwares...com/article/143
Read that guide for some tips on keeping it cool.

joehicks

joehicks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My GPU is at 80 celcius.
and i am barely on a game right now :)

and ty for the guide.....

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You need more cooling right away. Have you been overclocking any hardware?

joehicks

joehicks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
what do you mean by that?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Since you don't know what overclocking is I doubt you are, but overclocking means to run a chip at a higher frequency than stock. So say you have a 2.4Ghz CPU, if change its settings so it runs at 2.6Ghz, that is overclocking. This can be done with the CPU and the GPU.

I still say it is either a dust problem or your fan is dying. The dust isn't the easiest to see as it usually concentrates on the INSIDE of the computer, about an 1" or 2" inside on the opposite side of the heatsink. On my wifes computer, all you could see was black, I open it up, there is a dust clog about 2-3mm thick and 8 inches long by 1" tall. It peeled off like felt it was so thick.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There are very few things that can cause your problem.
PSU
Fan
Battery
Power Cord
Motherboard

Is the laptop plugged in when it gets hot?
Is it running on battery when it gets hot?
The fan may be turning but it may not be turning at a high enough speed to cool the system. As you said only after 40 minutes. That is not good. Heat is the number one reason for failure on a system. If it is running that hot when using it normally then I would suggest if it's under warranty to get it looked at before damaged is caused to the system and renders it useless. Being only 6 months old it should be a covered issue under your warranty.

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 April 2009 - 08:51 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you shaffer and Pedro for offering some helpful advice!

Since you have not been overclocking anything, I suggest you call your OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) and ask them if it is still covered under its warranty. This problem is most likely happening because there is too much dust near the heatsink (which keeps your cpu cool)

Cleaning the internals of a laptop is not as straightforward as with a desktop. You can read this guide to get started: http://www.instructa...-dust-out-of-i/

EDIT: I suggest you look at the manual supplied with your laptop, and find out what screws you have to remove to get to the fan or heatsink. It may also have instructions more detailed to your computer on how to clean dust.

Edited by edge2022, 30 April 2009 - 10:53 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.wikihow.c...e-of-a-Computer
That is more detailed, and tells you what and what not to do when cleaning the internals of a computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the laptop is still under warranty then any attempt to open it will result in voiding the warranty. Please contact the manufacturer and give them the information and have them fix the problem.

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 May 2009 - 01:17 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
rshaffer61 is correct. Your laptop is running hot and you may have a faulty fan or thermal sensor issue. If the laptop is under warranty, then the manufacture should fix it for free. You should contact them for the proper assistance in obtaining warranty repair.