Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

after trojan removal, speakers, internet, printer don't work

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go to Start -> Run -> services.msc
Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration, and tell me if that service is started or not.

In your system tray right click the Wireless Network Connection icon. Then select "Status". Then, in the window that opens, click on "Properties". Then click on the "Wireless Connections" tab. Then check the box at the top that says "Use windows to manage my wireless connections".

Does your printer and sound work still? Don't reinstall the adapter driver. We might need to create a network later.

Advertisements

mjcy

mjcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi I ran: Start -> Run -> services.msc and Wireless Zero Configuration is started and start up type is set to automatic.

As for the Wireless Network Connection icon, I click on "Status" then on "Properties". From here thought the only tabs I have available to me at the top are "General", "Authentication" and "Advanced". There is no tab for "Wireless Connections".

I was also transferring a few media files onto a flash drive when I noticed that the icon for Windows Media Player was not beside the file name anymore. Instead it was the symbol for an unassociated file. I opened Windows Media Player and it's reverted to the original Windows XP version (I think. It's been a while since I've seen anything but Media Player 11). I can double click on the file and play it in Media Player, but the symbol next to the file name still remains unassociated.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.crystalxp...lorer-tools.htm
Download Icontweaker. Install and open the program. Then click the buttons that state "Rebuild icon cache" and "Restore all icons"

Does your audio and printer still work?

mjcy

mjcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Audio and the Printer still work and my icons are restored.

I still can't access or view wireless menus, everything is still grayed out.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Network:
Network Adapter Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller
Network Adapter D-Link WDA-2320 Desktop Adapter (192.168.0.170)

So the icon problem is sorted out now? We should now try to install the latest drivers and setup a network. Can you connect through a Ethernet cable?

Go here: http://www.opendrive...e-download.html
Download and install the drivers.
Go here: http://www.dlink.com...p;sec=0#drivers
Download and install the latest drivers.

When installing the drivers make sure that security products such as firewalls and AV suites are closed. This makes sure that they will not interfere with the driver auto-configuring itself. Also make sure that you don't download drivers with "download accelerator" utilities. Do a reboot between installing each driver.

mjcy

mjcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Icons are all sorted out.

And after installing, rebooting, installing, both network adapters are working too! Yay!

Thanks very much for all your help; the only problem left is Windows Update...

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This is great!!! :)
All these problems are now worked out except for the Windows Update!

What exactly is the problem you are facing with Windows Update? Sorry if you had mentioned it before, I forgot.

mjcy

mjcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Since I rebooted from the Windows disc (before all of this started), I haven't had any of the Service Packs.

When I click on Windows Update, it directs me to the update website.

The website checks to see if my system is up to date, and then says:

We've made improvements to our website. To download the new version of the software and begin using Windows Update, please click Install Now.

I click Install Now, it downloads, tries to register, and says:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.

[Error number: 0x8024D007]

I tried the Dial-a-fix thing, but it said that it couldn't find two dlls (see earlier post for exact names). I tried downloading WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe from the Microsoft Support site to manually install SP2, but it got hung on "running procedures before installing" and couldn't get past that (I gave it 2 or 3 hours to try).

Not sure what to try next.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I click Install Now, it downloads, tries to register, and says:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.

Try this in Firefox. Download it here: http://www.mozilla.c...ox/firefox.html

mjcy

mjcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I do normally use Firefox, but Windows Update automatically goes to IE, and when I try to open the address in firefox, it says:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
* Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
* Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.saunalaht.../downloads.html
Download and run that.

mjcy

mjcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Done -- all failed. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Let's run a sfc check.
Go to Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow
It may prompt you for a XP CD.

If you don't have one you can try this fix:
Go to Start -> Run -> regedit
Go to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath
Change the value to C:

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hey I found a workaround for the Windows Update problem.
Read about it here: http://www.ghacks.ne...offline-update/

mjcy

mjcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

I did the regedit thing you suggested and ran sfc /scannow. It showed me a loading bar for 2 seconds and was done. No messages or anything.

I also tried the workaround you suggest. It downloaded and validated everything, but failed to install. "Error on line 6013"