Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard died

• Please log in to reply

charm1ngways

charm1ngways

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently came across a problem with my motherboard giving me the C-1 LED display error. After switching out different rams sticks trying different Dimm slots I still get the save LED error so I suspected it was the motherboard. So I went ahead and ordered a new motherboard being the XFX nForce 750i SLI Extreme Motherboard and my old board was the XFX nForce 680i. My question is since the two motherboards are the same brand would I need to reinstall a fresh windows or would my windows boot normally without any problems?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When replacing a major component of the system then XP will most likely have you reactivate it. To do that you can either do it online or in some cases you have to call Microsoft directly and they can get you reactivated with no problem. They will ask why you need to reactivate and you just have to llet them know you had a bad mobo and that the new one is a newer model. They will have no problem with it.
I just did it with my wife's system a couple of weeks ago on a major rebuild. A few minutes on the phone with them and her system was up and running with no problems.
Let me know if there are any other questions or concerns you may have and please keep us updated on what happens with the new motherboard. :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

My question is since the two motherboards are the same brand would I need to reinstall a fresh windows or would my windows boot normally without any problems?

Maybe and probably not. While the two motherboards are very similar, they are not identical. Therefore, it is most likely when you boot to the new motherboard, the boot process will choke as Windows will see the new hardware (and there are many discreet hardware devices on a single motherboard) as a new PC and think you are stealing a copy. You can minimize this risk. See http://www.pcstats.c...t...1755&page=5

However, I prefer to do a fresh install - just to avoid those problems.

In ANY event, do make sure you back up any data you do not want lost, just in case. And also make sure you have your original disks and license key handy. Good luck and I hope that fixes your problem.

charm1ngways

charm1ngways

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, I decided to mount my HDD to another pc and then did a backup to an external. Just waiting for my new motherboard to arrive and hopefully everything will be fine.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sound like a plan.