Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP not working

• Please log in to reply

dokkdurssulet

dokkdurssulet

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Don't really know what i did wrong to the computer.what i want to know is how to fix this without reinstalling the OP.if anyone can help me please do so.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 April 2009 - 03:08 AM.

dokkdurssulet

dokkdurssulet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It is a laptop
HP Comapq6720s with Windows XP sp2.Ihave it for about 2 years
Total memory of 3GB DDR2
HDD memory 160GB and about 60 of them free(not accurate info)
CPU Intel Core2 Duo T7250 at 2000Mhz
I had a problem with some malware that my Avast anti-virus couldn't resolve.
This is all that i can tell

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you go thru the malware forum and have a Malware Tech scan your system and make sure it is clean? If not I would suggest you:

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

dokkdurssulet

dokkdurssulet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok.You must excuse me but i am new around here so i don' really know how this forum works,but my windows stop in the loading divers phase,so i can't really run any anti-malware programs because the windows doesn't even start so,no offense,i don't really think the malware technicians can help me in this phase.

Again i say i am newbie and i don't know much.so if you still think i should go to the malware technicians than i'll go.I wait for confirmation

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try rebooting and on the second post screen(Black) tap F8
This will take you to the boot menu where you need to scroll down and highlight the line that says
Last Known Good Configuration"
Click Enter
The system will reboot and hopefully go into windows on it's own.
The reason for this is because this error is usually caused by a device recently installed or a driver update.
The infection problem will need to be addressed as soon as we can get you back into windows.

dokkdurssulet

dokkdurssulet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah.I guess i should have metioned this.That doesn't work.i know wich driver is bad because if i select safe mode it shows me what drivers are being loaded and it stops at this particular one and after a period of time between 20-60 seconds my computer crashes and reboots.if i try "last good known configuration" or "start windows normaly" it shows me the windows logo and the progress bar and stop.it doesn't freeze but it keeps trying to load that "Mup.sys" drivers and doesn't do anything

In concluzion a can't really do anything.I cant run programs or anything.

From what i understand and know either i reinstall tha OS or i repair the existing 1 using a boot CD.But i had in the past another problem that somebody else fixed it and i wasn't present when the problem was fixed.It has something to do with my SATA HDD and the fact that my CD-ROM doesn't boot from a CD only if the Live-CD is compatible with SATA drivers.I tried to install Ubuntu but,even with explicit request to boot from the CD,i couldn't boot from the CD.This i really don't understand yet.So if anyone can give me the solution please provide comments 2,cuz i wanna understand more

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So NO cd will boot then from your description? Have you gone into Bios and change the boot sequence to
cdrom and then hd?
Save and exit and type Y when asked to verify save

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 April 2009 - 08:47 AM.

dokkdurssulet

dokkdurssulet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I know this.in the booting sequence Optycal Drive is set before HDD,even before this problem.I am shure of it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for all the original drivers for your motherboard when it was released in your HP.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.aitechsol...tsysXPhang.html
Read that for a troubleshooter for your problem.

http://www.aitechsol...s-resolved.html
Read that for some things that other people did to resolve this problem.

Windows needs to be able to boot properly, before infection removal can begin.
Can you boot into safe mode?

dokkdurssulet

dokkdurssulet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no i can't.when i try to boot into safe mode the pc starts loading all the drivers.when it gets to "Mup.sys" it stop and afterwards crashes

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
#1: If your system has any overclocked hardware, reset it to stock settings.

#2: Try removing ALL USB devices from your computer before booting. This includes your keyboard and mouse (also any hubs)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dokkdurssulet...

In actuality, the machine is not hanging at mup.sys, but the file that's trying to load after it...and there's no way of knowing what that file is. Only files that fully load will be displayed in the list when you boot to Safe Mode. Sometimes, if you leave it long enough, the machine will start...I had one take nearly an hour once, but it did eventually start in Safe Mode, though I never was able to get it to start normally again and ended up formatting the drive.

If it doesn't start after giving it a significant amount of time, chances are good that it isn't going to. I've tried every suggestion on the internet, and there are many, but none have ever resulted in success. Even a Repair Installation won't address the issue. The only thing I've found that does work is to format the drive and reinstall Windows.

If you have important files on your machine that need to be recovered, we may be able to help you, but I think you're going to find yourself spurring a dead horse while trying to fix the problem if the machine won't start when given adequate time for the files to load.

wannabe1

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

In actuality, the machine is not hanging at mup.sys,

That is right, and thank you, wannabe, for your input. This problem is hard to troubleshoot, but I have seen some cases when troubleshooting is sucessful.

There are a couple of things that could be going on:
Hard disk failure or corruption

A corrupted registry or registry hive

New hardware has been installed but not did not completely "Register or re-Register" correctly

New hardware has been installed but it is faulty or failing

The new hardware's driver or windows itself has been compromised (Disk data corruption or by a virus) or needs to be updated

The power supply is marginal in output or failing

BIOS\ESCD\Motherboard chipset driver conflict with a component, its driver, or its registry data

Existing hardware including the motherboard may have failed in a specific way but not catastrophically.

All of this relates to hardware and the core components that are used to run a pc. The most common problems are file system or hard disk problems and bad or not powerful enough power supply. This applies if you have recently added any hardware to your computer.

Try running a chkdsk /p /r
This can fix the mup problem sometimes
Click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig, and burn a recovery console boot disc. Boot from it and use the command chkdsk /p /r
You might want to also try a fixboot

Also click on "Repair Common Windows Problems" in my sig and follow the steps using a recovery console CD.

This problem is not easy to fix, and reformatting is the only way sometimes. To get back your data click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig, and follow the steps to gain your important data back. First, backup your data with this technique before doing any troubleshooting.
EDIT: A corrupted registry may be the case, so once you run a chkdsk you can use this guide: http://www.aitechsol...inxpnoboot.html

Edited by edge2022, 29 April 2009 - 05:29 PM.