Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd Opinion on an old PDA

• Please log in to reply

Gregg123

Gregg123

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi Guys,
I have an old Compaq Ipaq 3970 which I allowed to discharge and lost all the data.
I sent it to a Data Recovery Company to see if any recovery was possible, they came back and said it was not possible:
'This device uses ram flash memory therefore as soon as the power is lost all data is lost and does not exist to be recovered'
Conclusion: No recovery possible

However my IT guy in the Office said that apparently the Conclusion is a contradiction RAM would normally lose data when it loses power & Flash Memory would keep at least something.

I have no idea who is correct, so I thought I would try a second opinion from you guys!!

If my guy is correct should I get a second recovery firm to take a look or is there no hope?
Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Flash memory can retain its data for some time, but it does eventually degrade. Can you charge it up again and look? If so, I would load up a bunch of useless files, delete them, save some more, delete them, and save some more. This will cover up any residual past data. Normal RAM does lose everything once power is removed. Flash RAM may be different.

Beyond that, if a data recovery shop could not find anything, I don't think anyone else will either, unless they are a professional badguy (or the Feds) specifically targeting you. In that case, I would take a 16lb sledge hammer to it.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thanks Bill.
I did charge it up again and all my data had disappeared.

So I left it in that state and sent it to the guys who I thought could recover the data!

Does anyone know based upon the fact I know it's a Compaq Ipaq 3970 - what type of memory it has?

Flash RAM, Flash Memory or normal RAM - I have no idea, apart from the conflicting info I have been given. I am sure in the Technical Data the answer is there but it might as well be in Chinese for me to understand it!!

:)