Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drives

• Please log in to reply

technotyet

technotyet

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
:D
I set up a system for my kid to use to learn things about computers I put windows Xp home on it the HD is a 1.58g windows said it need 1.5g so I guessed it would be ok but after installing all the drivers it only left me with 98megs of free space and now I get the windows warning abut low space on drive <_< the computer as a other drive set as slave thats got 800mb of free space on it is there any way to conbine the drives or move things so I get the 200meg that windows wants for free space?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
One thing you can do is move the swap file.

To do this, right click on the "My Computer" icon and select "Properties", from there click on the "Advanced" tab then under the Performance section click on the "Settings" button. That will open up a new Window, from there select the "Advanced" tab yet again, and under Virtual memory click the "Change" button.

Under the "Drive [Volume Label]" window you should see all your HDD's - note that by default WinXP places the pagefile on the primary drive. Because we need to clean the pagefile of any anomalies and corruption first, click on the "No paging file" radio box then press the "Set" button, then click ok. Once the PC restarts go back to the same place and look under "Drive [Volume Label]", select your secondary HDD and check the "Custom Size" radio box. For initial size enter them amount of physical memory your PC has; if you have 256MB of RAM, enter 256. In the "Maximum size" box enter double your physical memory + initial size pagefile. In our case it would be 512MB. Click set, then "ok" and reboot. Once that's done, defrag the hard drive that contains the swap file.

technotyet

technotyet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi
that did it now I have over 400m on that drive.
thank you <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You're welcome <_<