Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

issue with pcAnywhere displaying folder names

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
On my home computer, I am using Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 and all the latest updates installed. On my work computer, I am using Windows XP Professional with SP3 and all the latest updates installed. On both machines, I have Symantec pcAnywhere v12.5 Build 442 installed.

When I log into the XP computer from the Vista computer using pcAnywhere, I have a minor annoyance with the way certain folder names are displayed. The contents of the XP folders are fine. But if I navigate to my user folder of the Vista machine through the link under Desktop (again, this is while in pcAnywhere's File Transfer window), the sub-folders don't display their normal names (i.e. Download, Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc.) but rather each folder displays a long string of characters.

If, however, I navigate to my user folder in pcAnywhere by instead going to Computer -- C drive -- User -- <my name> -- the folders all display their names correctly.

This never happens when I log into the Vista computer from the XP computer. The folder names display correctly on both machines in that instance. And it should be noted that I just recently upgraded to Vista (using a clean install) on the one computer. When I used to have XP Pro SP3 installed and would try an XP to XP file transfer, I would have no problems at all.

Any advice would be appreciated. As I said, it's not a severe problem, but it is a minor annoyance in that in order to see the folder names displayed correctly, I have to go through a few extra clicks.

In the picture below, the file transfer on the left is how it displays when I go into my user folder under Desktop on Vista. The file tranfer on the right is how it displays if I go into my user folder by navigating to the actual User folder (or even when I go into it under Desktop when I had XP installed).

Thanks for any help,
mike.

pics.jpg

Advertisements