Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer screen problem

• Please log in to reply

lacokanostra

lacokanostra

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Today i went into the kitchen to make some food and came back to find my screen off but the computer was still on.
the little light on the monitor was blinking i didn't think much of it i just restarted my comp and it was fine.
Then my comp froze up, so i proceeded to restart it again...but now my comp won't show anything on the monitor?
It starts up and sounds find when it starts up just as if it would any other time...and it's connected to the monitor because i don't get a no signal sign on my monitor as you would when it's not plugged in...but my screen is just black...i've tried restarting it many times and leaving it on for a bit...nothing just black...what may the problem be?

Edited by lacokanostra, 28 April 2009 - 02:24 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you try a different monitor to see if it's the system or the monitor?
From your description it sounds like the computer is booting up but the monitor has taken a trip. :)

lacokanostra

lacokanostra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am pretty sure it's not the monitor because i get the little digital and analog sign in the top left corner when i turn it on.
and i got it to work once and then it went back to not working.
It's weird because my comp starts up fine (Sounds find anyways) just nothing on the screen now.
When it froze i did go into task manager and was closing a bunch of stuff trying to make it unfreeze.
and i closed something that said so and so has closed unsuspectingly computer with shutdown in 50 seconds.
and after that the screen just won't ever work, but the screen thing happened before that also. so i don't know?

Edited by lacokanostra, 28 April 2009 - 02:31 PM.

lacokanostra

lacokanostra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah its not the screen...I just plugged the screen in to a old computer and it started up fine so it's got something to do with the computer, but what would cause it to just not display anything on screen?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be a video driver problem. It could be the monitor. Without being able to hook your monitor to another system to test it or another monitor to your system to test it then it will be hard to diagnose it.
Try unplugging the computer from the power, then push the power button on the front of the system for 2 - 3 seconds. This will discharge any reserve power from the power supply in the system. Leave it unhooked for 5 minutes then plug it back in and try it again. Turn the monitor off also during all this so it can reset itself.
Let me know if it comes back on.

lacokanostra

lacokanostra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
That actually worked - only for a few seconds though...
I took the power cords out, turned off the monitor and pressed the power button while it was unplugged 3 times. then left it for 5 minutes.

Plugged it all back in, turned the computer on and then turned the monitor on and the Emachines logo was there and then the windows xp start up was there...then it just went to no signal again. Frustrating.

Any other suggestions? since that kind of worked for a couple seconds.

Edited by lacokanostra, 28 April 2009 - 03:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the system under warranty?

lacokanostra

lacokanostra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No it's not.
Do you think maybe if i just left it unplugged for a night and then tried tomorrow that maybe it would work?
Could it be a possibility there is power lingering around in there and it's causing it to short circuit the screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have seen problems fix them selves but I am thinking that you may have a video card problem or worse your motherboard or cpu has died.
What you can do is open the case up. While looking 63 the front of the case you would open the left5 side. There are screws on the back and probably two of them on the back edge. Take them out and then find the fan that looks like it's sitting on your motherboard. Turn the system on and see if the fan stays on. Let me know what you find out.

lacokanostra

lacokanostra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm a little confused by that but I took the side off and i have only 3 fans in my computer one is on the power source. the other is inside the computer by the video card i think it is. and the last one is like right under the power source.

So i'd be looking at which one? power source?

Edited by lacokanostra, 28 April 2009 - 06:05 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check all three. They all should be running when you turn the system on