Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Active X

• Please log in to reply

ricardoswife

ricardoswife

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[FONT=Optima][SIZE=7][COLOR=purple]
I can not play games because my security setting will not alow me to run active X could you please let me know how to fix this and why it may be happening.

Edited by ricardoswife, 14 May 2005 - 09:51 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what / where are you trying to play? some of the online internet games contain spyware/adware and need a lower security setting to install.

ricardoswife

ricardoswife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tryed to play games on yahoo and msn. When I try to open some games like zuma for example I get a window that says my security levels will not let me run active x. I do not know how to change me security levels, and if I do couldn't my computer mess up?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Yes, you stand a chance of getting stuff on the computer, however as long as you stay with yahoo and msn you should be ok.

go to internet explorer, tools, internet options. click on the security tab. click on the default level button found toward the bottom right. It will come up with a slider bar. It probably is set to high. Even if it isn't set it medium and apply. this will reset the security low enough for you to enjoy your games.

ricardoswife

ricardoswife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the information. I just tried that and it still says that my security setting will not allow me to run active X. Even though I set it at the lowest setting. Do you know of any other reasons for this to be happening.

Again Thank You

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what version of IE are you using?
open IE, goto help, then about to see version.

what is your Operating system?
right click on my computer and go to properties. under the general tab it will show os version and service pack level.

thanks,
Starjax

ricardoswife

ricardoswife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am running Windows XP service plan 1.

My IE is Microsoft 6.0

Thank You

I hope that I was right in thinking that IE ment Internet Explorer if not then I do not know what it could be.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well you could have some spywaherere or virus preventing you from doing this. I really don't like the fact that your security settings are set to low. Lets try this. Go back to IE (internet explorer) and go to tools, internet options. click on the advanced tab. Click on the "restore Defaults" button found at the bottom right corner. Go back to your security settings and set them back to medium. then shut down your internet explorer and restart the application. Test to see if it works.

Next you can try installing Java. http://java.com. Once its installed test again.

If it still doesn't work then lets see a hijackthis log: see here for more info.

This will allow us to see if you have any spyware on your system before the next step.

If you have no spyware, or after its been cleaned I highly recomend installing Service Pack 2 for windows xp. If there is some reason you can't install it (application compatabiltity) then I can walk you through a reinstall of Internet explorer.

Starjax