Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

installed home edition, lost all drivers. please help.

• Please log in to reply

krice0424

krice0424

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a dell optiplex gx150 desktop. i had professional, then had home edition installed, bad idea i guess. I cant connect to internet, and theres no sound. I opened my device manager and it reads under: OTHER DEVICES: WITH THE YELLOW ? MARKS- ETHERNET CONTROLLER, MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER, SCANNER INTERFACE, AND VIDEO CONTROLLER(VGA COMPATIBLE). I TRIED GETTING ON FRIENDS COMPUTER AND INSTALLING A NIC CARD DRIVER, PUT IT ON A USB DRIVE AND PUT ON MY COMPUTER MYSELF, BUT IT DIDNT WORK. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How did you go from Pro to Home?
Did you purchase a new version of XP?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

How did you go from Pro to Home?

also....why?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to go here and entering your system info...you will get to the driver download section...get ALL the drivers for your system...burn them to a cd and take the cd to your computer and install all the drivers until you don't see any yellow ! or ? marks in the device manager...

Edited by happyrock, 29 April 2009 - 08:18 AM.

krice0424

krice0424

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I had pro, then my computer got a virus and couldnt fix it, so a friend installed home using there windows disc. I was also wondering if i just bought a usb network card, like netgear, would that fix it. thanks.
happyrock i tried that site and all the drivers i found would not work.

Edited by krice0424, 01 May 2009 - 12:11 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so...if XP pro was previously installed....and your friend came over with an XP home disk...which product key did you use to install? the one that came with the windows home disk that your friend brought?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Broni :)

krice0424

krice0424

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It had the option to enter one, i tried the friends it didnt work, so i left it blank.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
:)....you didn't enter a product key during install? that doesn't actually make sense...and shouldn't be possible

krice0424

krice0424

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i was thinking that myself. but it didnt need one, so i assumed it used my original.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
....that's also not possible...since you can't do an inplace install of home over pro ....you would have had to get rid of xp to install home...and that would require the product key

krice0424

krice0424

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What happened was i got on my computer one day, booted it up, and there was no desktop icons, or start menu. I tried a few things to fix it, and took a friends advice to just reinstall windows. So i got there disk, popped it in, and it worked, it asked for product key, it said it wasnt required but recommended. I hit the option to bypass. After that my icons came back and everything worked except for the internet, and i have no sound also. thanks