Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted my taskbar / icons

• Please log in to reply

jkerkman

jkerkman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My granfathers computer has recently become infested with malware. Tonight I was going through the "You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting " procedure with little success. All of the programs found a ton of stuff, but even after removal there was a flurry of pop-ups. I got to the AVG virus program and downloaded the software (keep in mind at this time there are about 12 I.E. browser windows open). I believe without even running AVG it popped up virus found. I clicked delete file and o.k. At this time the task bar and icons were still available. After playing whack a mole with the mouse and I.E. X's for a while I got disgusted and rebooted. I don't know what file I deleted, but I'm assuming it was important (and really wishing I'd clicked heal). I restarted the computer and there were no icons or task bar regardless of which user I signed in as. I then ran AVG with task manager and it found and healed over 100 trojan infected files. Does anyone have any idea what file I may have initially deleted and how to fix my mistake?
Thanks in advance.
Jason

Advertisements

jkerkman

jkerkman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh yeah, Windows XP, Acer computer

thakid

thakid

• PipPipPip