Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing up Office 2007, IE, and Fire Fox

• Please log in to reply

archsteve

archsteve

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,

I have a problem with these programs. There is no pattern as to which one freezes first, but if one does, the rest do not work (OFFICE 2007--Word and Excel, IE, Firefox). Typically a white box appears in the upper left hand corner, and everything stops. I cannot shut the programs down either, and I have to manually turn off the computer (holding down the on/off button). If it helps, I have SP3 on my computer. Kind of seems that this problem started about the time I loaded SP3 a few months ago.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try uninstalling SP3 then.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

archsteve

archsteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Isn't SP3 necessary? It seems like it would be made to be compatible with the most updated programs. I will try it though, and see how it goes.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Since you mentioned that the problem arose after you installed SP3, it is probably the culprit. SP3 doesn't cooperate with some computers and their configurations.

Did you ever have a blue screen of death with an error code?

archsteve

archsteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hmm. Nope, I have not had the blue screen of death. It sounds bad! I tried to take off SP3, but something about the correct file not found. I found some other postings about removing SP3 when getting this error, but it sounds pretty complicated. So, not sure I can go that route. I was thinking of just saving all my files on an external drive, and then formatting the computer and rebooting from the CDs. Do you think this is wise?

Thanks,
Steve

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If you are willing to do this, then we won't have to troubleshoot any further.
Just remember, if you reformat, you will have to reinstall and programs you have on your computer.
As long as you are willing to take the trouble of copying all your files, and reinstalling all your programs, then this is a good way to go.

You can try to remove SP3 through the info you found in other postings. This will leave all your files and programs intact. But, I cannot guarantee that uninstalling SP3 will fix your problem.

This is up to you, decide what you would like to try.

archsteve

archsteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I will let you know what I do. I did just get an update from Microsoft, so maybe that will help. If it doesn't work, the alternative to formatting is buying a new laptop, so I might as well format!

Cheers,
Steve

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right then. Once you have done your work, post back to let me know how things are going.