Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

video card help!

• Please log in to reply

Big Red65

Big Red65

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, well before i ask my question, a brief desc. of my situation.
I have a crappy compaq thats roughly 6 years old. About 780 RAM and a decent processor for the age of the computer. The one piece of equipment that totally sucks on my computer is my video card.

I'm not sure what the stock card is. I got 2 new cards from some old computers my step mom gave me but had some decent parts in them. One card is a Geforce 256, the other a Geforce TI 4600.

I currently have the 256 in and theres some problems. the screen brightness is very dull, much duller than my old graphics card. and when i first turn on my computer, theres a decently loud noise coming from it.

Ive put in the 4600 and it started out odd. as i turn on the computer [Note theres no loud noise with THIS card in...] and am loading it up, theres weird parts on the screen that are discolored and pixelated. like on the 'loading windows xp' screen, theres several discolored and pixelated streaks on the screen.

so anyways, the first time it WORKED. my computer was on and i was on the explorer and everything was loaded up. the screen was still a little pixelated in some areas but it didnt seem to affect IE when i launched that up. however i noticed my resolution was off. everything on the screen was huge. for instance my search bar on IE took up about 1/4 of the whole screen.. so i go to change my resolution. im not sure what it was on because i didnt care i just figured i needed to make it smaller so i slid the resolution thing to the right a bit.

i dont know what resolution i slid it too... i figured if anything itd just be trial and error to see what suits me. but little did i know, after i slid the resolution thing, my screen went black. it stayed black for a while but flashed my screen up once, showing it in better resolution, everything fitting on the screen better. but then it went black again... and [pardon the humor] it never went back. now everytime i boot up windows, its just black. i get to the loading screen just as i mentioned before where its off pixelated and colored, but when i load everything the screen just goes black, as if my card has stopped sending signal to my monitor.

keep in mind that what i just said is probably true. when i turn it on at first, the on light on my monitor is solid green. but when i get past the off pixelated loading screen, the monitor goes black and the green on light is now flashing (this happens when the computer is OFF but the monitor is on...)

any help would be appreciated. sorry if im unreasonably descriptive and drag things out.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Your GeForce 256 is probably the oldest. It was one of the first video cards nVidia brought out in the GeForce series. (1999) It is probably too old to function well.

Geforce TI 4600 -- known issue of pixelated and corruption.

Both of these are corrupted...per your story.

A replacement card will fix your problem.