Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Videos stream, but webpages sometimes don't load

• Please log in to reply

cheddurmonkee

cheddurmonkee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! I'm new here and don't know if this is the right place to post this problem, but here it goes!

In our old apartment, the internet worked fine through our wireless router to our laptops. There were no problems and it ran great. At our new apartment, we are in a very similar type of set up as far as internet goes (the internet is provided free with rent just like it was at the last apartment, and I think it's a Cable connection with multiple ethernet cables coming from the modem and one being wired into each apartment in the building, to a slot in the wall just like a phone jack) Anyway, when we first got here the internet slot in the wall didn't work at all, so I looked at how the wires were set up in the cables down on the modem and re-wired our wall slot the same way and it works now. But, there's a problem. Using the same router and computers as we used in the last apartment, sometimes internet pages will not load. They come up with an error saying the page cannot be found. Usually (but not always) if I reload the page, it will come up. This happens the same on all browsers and with both computers. (mine using XP and the other running Vista) It's weird because if I have a streaming video playing, it will work great with no pauses but while that video is playing perfectly, the webpages will still act the same way...about every 2 to 3 webpages won't load the first time and sometimes not at all after 4 to 5 refreshes.Then, on the sixth or seventh refresh, it will suddenly work. Sometimes, no pages work for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Obviously the internet is on because of the working videos, but for some reason the browsers can't find pages anyway. I don't know what to do and I don't know if I explained it right, but if you have questions feel free to ask. Thanks so much for your willingness to help! It's really a problem, especially when writing an email, sending that email, and there's a problem loading the page at that very moment and the email is lost. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Advertisements