Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing at boot!

• Please log in to reply

Pinklemonaidz

Pinklemonaidz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello! My step father has a Dell with windows Xp on it. He got some sort of virus and we tried to install NOD32 trial to fix it.

Once it was installed we restarted and now the computer wont load past startup! It keeps freezing and I can't click anything.

I've tried booting into safe mode, but for some reason the password that works on his name doesn't work on the Safe Mode. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
In Safe Mode, at the logon box, press CRTL + ALT +DELETE two times.
Then try entering your pass and name. If that doesn't work, then try leaving the pass blank.

If that doesn't work, then try using administrator as the user name, and leave the pass blank.

Does the computer blue screen, or does it just freeze? If there is a blue screen, then post the error code.

Pinklemonaidz

Pinklemonaidz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Unfortunately none of those work.

It's just freezing. It'll get up to where all my icons load and then before I can hit start or anything it'll freeze.

ne0h

ne0h

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
best way->>format the drive n install OS and then install anti-virus
if u don wana format try system restore..
if u r able to go to safe mode the installation files are still safe..
so uninstall the antivirus once create a restore point then install n scan the drive...
else use norton ghost 12.0 to back-up the drive restore it later when u need that..
to make ur system boot faster type in run>msconfig>startup>disable all the links that are not required...

Pinklemonaidz

Pinklemonaidz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help everyone!

Fortunatly, even though I was able to boot into Safe Mode because of the password issue, it allowed me to boot into Safe Mode Networking, which for some reason was the same password. I was able from there to uninstall NOD from the computer so it didn't freeze at boot. Thanks again!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good Job! :)
This appears to be resolved. If you ever need any computer assistance, come back to G2G.