Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep getting disconnected from internet

• Please log in to reply

kingbee22

kingbee22

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am using Win 2000 o/s. Recently I changed my router. The new router is a d-link dir-655. Ever since I started with this router I am constantly disconnecting from the internet. For example when I click on firefox the homepage won't open up. But when I hit refresh button a few time or many times the page eventually loads. If I go to another page it will give me the same message "unable to load page" and then I have to hit the refresh key a few times before it loads the new page. On occasion everything works as it should but that is not the norm. Not sure what to do. I don't have another router that I could test at at this time.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did this issue happen with a old router before?
Try doing a hard reset on the router. Disconnect power and also incoming line for internet. Let it sit for 2 - 3 minutes. Reconnect everything and then try it.
Let us know if it works

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
If I do a hard reset will I have to reset my wireless settings. I did not experience this with my old router.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't believe you will have to.
What I am suggesting is to get the router to clear it's memory and that would allow it to receive the signal better from ISP. This is only the first step and it may come to a point where a total reinstall could happen. It could be several issues but I always start with the most obvious to me. :)

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The problem is still there after reset although it appears to be not as bad as before the reset.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Custom clone made:

CPU - P4-100 MHZ
O/S - Win 2K Professional
Age; - 4 yrs
RAM -228K DDR
Hard drive #1 maxtor - 40 Gig - 14 gig free
Hard driver #2 - 80 Gig - 40 free
motherboard ? - how do i find out?
have both cd writer player and dvd player
ide- ?
i don't believe i have any other cards in pci slot

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download CPUz from my signature below

1: Save it to your desktop.
2: Click on the icon it creates and let it run
3: I need the following information from it.
4: First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
5: Cllick on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
6: Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.

Please include in your next reply

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Manufacturer - ?
Model - P4MA-Pro
Memory - DDR-256
Max bandwidth - pc 2100-133mhz

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
256 megs of memory?
That is barely enough to run XP. I would suggest you Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner. This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. If you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

kingbee22

kingbee22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I do need a memory upgrade. Could your provide some suggestions on how much would be adequate and what type. the website suggested that pc 2700 & pc 3200 ddr would be backward compatible with pc 2100. Is there an advantage with one over the other in terms of performance or price.

Is it possible that my computer can't properly communicate with the router because of the low memory level or do you think it more than that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this your mobo Here?
If so you have 2 memory slots. You have a maximum memory amount of 2 gigs. Go HERE and you can see for about $82.00 with shipping you can max out your memory and that should help with running multiple applications at one time. It may help with your internet problem also due to the fact that the internet and 2000 are fighting for what memory you do have right now. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 April 2009 - 09:59 AM.