Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows XP Installation

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello all, I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP on my Dell Latitude D620 laptop, but I don't have any reinstall cds for my dell. I've tried pressing CTRL F11 but it doesn't work. I have Windows XP on my Gateway 702GE DVD. The Gateway 702GE DVD starts up when I restart, but I have to uninstall/install drivers before the Windows XP installation. Is there any way I can go directly to the Windows XP installation? If I can't go directly to the Windows XP Installation, can I continue with the full system restoration? Thanks.

• 34,114 posts
You can't use the Gateway installation cd because on what is referred to as a OEM installation the Xp disk is married to the system it came with. I suggest you go HERE and contact Dell for a recovery cd for your system. This way you can have all the original manufacture drivers that were included when the system was brand new.

Also according to Microsofts Terms Of Agreement you can only have XP installed one one machine at a time. This means that every machine has to have their own version of XP. By contacting Dell you can get a recovery cd that is specifically made for your laptop.

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 April 2009 - 09:56 AM.