Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the newest driver for your soundcard install? `
Try uninstalling Google bar from IE and FF.
Something about that error you sent me is making me believe Google is the problem. Let me know the results

Advertisements

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi rshaffer61

Yes the update did load.

I uninstalled all Google programs via "add remove " feature. Don't know if I have to do more then that but anyway it did not help.

Comment:

I listened quite a bit to an internet station call "Jazz Excursion" so I'm familiar with it's operation. You normally tune in with a two step process. First you bring up their site and from there you select the genre. When the selection is made a new window opens and gives you current info such as, selection will start momentarily, buffering, and finally playing. Now my computer hangs in that 2nd window on "selection will start momentarily" and never goes further.

Just before sending this I tried that site again and unfortunately had the same result. I then ran "Event Viewer" and the System section showed an error stating it could not find "netevent.dll" I ran a search and the file was in "System32" and "System32\dll cache". The link below is to the error report.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yz5zzjzmwm3

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well well well, let's just fix that problem right now. Please follow the next steps and reply with the results.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 May 2009 - 08:40 PM.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
OK, but I need to get to first base.

I assumed I didn't have access to Windows CD/DVD. So I went to regedit and got down to the last file, "setup". And did not find "source path"

The link is a screen shot of what's available in "system"

http://www.mediafire.com/?5dkzhdajmrr

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point you will need to borrow a XP cd of the same type you have installed on your system (Home or Pro)
Without that we can not continue with this step.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I have the original XP upgrade disk that I used on the computer we are working with and a XP version 2002 complete install disk I used on another computer. Would either of those work?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have the original XP upgrade disk that I used on the computer we are working with and a XP version 2002 complete install disk I used on another computer. Would either of those work?

As long as the full version is the same type as the upgrade
Home or Pro

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
They are both HOME edition

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then the full version should work fine. To make sure do they both have the same Service Pack verion on them?

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 May 2009 - 11:24 AM.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
They both have service pack 2

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you are good to go. Follow the steps below and let's try to fix this issue now:

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 May 2009 - 11:35 AM.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
My upgrade version would not take but the clean install did. It took forever. Kept asking me to insert the CD and try again. After it finished I didn't see any messages. Looked for "source path" with regedit and did not find it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it kept asking for the disk during different times then it was finding files that needed to be replaced or repaired. Have you checked to see if the issue is still happening?

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Unfortunately yes with the exception that the internet station opened Windows Media this time but still no sound.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then at this point I believe the only option we have is to do a repair install. Under normal circumstances a repair installation will not cause any loss of data. I would suggest you backup any important information just in case and then we can proceed. The malware attack from what I can establish has erased something that will not allow your sound to work. Most likely it has corrupted your sound driver and it isn't letting it reinstall.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed or if you have any questions.