Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok, I'll backup files tomorrow and get back to you when I'm ready.

I want to thank you for your effort.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) I appreciate your kind words and patience getting this issue resolved. I will contiinue to monitor the topic and will respond asap when you are ready. :)

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi rshaffer61

I've got my computer backed up with image files. I'm ready to give a repair installation a go, but I'm going to need a lot of hand holding.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok well here we go. Step by step instructions on how it all works.

Repair Installation Instructions
· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 May 2009 - 10:33 AM.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Well I think I followed the instructions. Went through the repair feature. Looked as if files were retained but settings were altered. Ran slow with various loading error messages. I was able to try the sound issues and they were still with me (not working). So I went back to the previous state with my image file. I guess it's "a case of the devil I know rather then the one I don't".

I really don't know where to go from here. What are my choices?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point since the repair did nothing then the only option I can see is to format and reinstall windows. That will take everything back to original state and then things should work. If not then we have a hardware problem that just happened at the same time as the malware fix. Do you have all the drivers for your system and if not I can try to find them for you.
Let me know how you would like proceed now. :)

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Is there a way to find which drivers I need to supply?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's really pretty simple. Look at the back of the system for the following:
Lan or network connection
Video
Sound

If they are built onboard they will be up where the USB, kb, and mouse all connect
If they are in the slots then thats obvious to see. I have a feeling they are all onboard.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I guess what your saying is I need the drivers for all the hardware. If that's the case, I do have them.

Other questions that bothers me about a clean install:

Looking at an XP manual, they detail a "transfer wizard" to copy files to the new installation. Can I use this technique to get all the connection data, email stuff, bookmarks, and files over to the clean install?

Can I employ the "image" backup to cherry pick applications and/or files to transfer?

The original XP on this problem computer was done via an upgrade disk. I understand I need the full version for a clean install. I have a full version that was used on an other computer. Can I use that disk for a clean install on this problem computer?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Create a folder on your desktop called backup
Everything needs to be put in this folder now so that when everything is moved you can simply burn this folder to a cd and have everything to import back where it belongs when you have your system backup and running correctly

To backup IE Bookmarks go HERE
and follow the directions. Make sure you export the file to the Backup folder you created

Go HERE to backup your email address book and export to the backup folder

Once these two are done then just copy whatever you want to save to the folder. Do not copy any files with the extensions...exe...scr..html...
The outlook stuff is fine to do so no worry there.

You can use the full version as long as the registration number is not on another system at the same time.

Edited by rshaffer61, 04 May 2009 - 12:32 AM.

Advertisements

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Well I got prepared to start the format process and I keep getting a message that I can't start unless I close all windows that a using the disk ©. Can't seem to get around it. Any ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have everything you need to backup done, then follow these steps.

Go Here for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh.

Let me know how it is going or if you have any questions while it's working. :)

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks

Hope the next message is from a working computer.http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will be waiting anxious for great news :)

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi rshaffer61

Well we got it working. Reinstalled and sound is back. Now in the process of reloading stuff. Ran into two problems so far:

1. Reloaded spyware guard and I get a message that "MSCOMCLT.OXC" not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid. I downloaded and ran Microsoft's program to fix but it seems not to correct the problem.

2. I have a SONY CD-RW CRX140E CDROM installed. The driver Windows XP installed must not be working correctly. The ROM will not open a CD. When I force an open through MY COMPUTER I get a message that it is not responding. When I click "end program", the desktop is wiped clean and the computer will not respond.