Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Windows forgetting something?

• Please log in to reply

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
OMG!! After all this its finally happening! I will do 1 folder at a time just to be on the safe side. Now all I have to do is make this a bigger partition and re-install all my programs and drivers back!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
You can back up all the folders at once if you like Just think about what and where you are restoring to. Hope this makes sense.
Holler if you need a hand with the repartition

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for all your help the whole way through this process. The backup that is now created is about 2.8gb, and I only have about 600mb left! I will get a blank DVD and some CDs and burn the backups onto them, and then I will re-partition the drive (may need some help on that).

Thanks again for all your help, I will get back to you possibly tomorrow with some CDs and we can continue from there. Not far to go!

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi, I have got all the files I want ready to work on this partition (just need to install them). Now all I need to know is how to make this the largest partition.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
ok how big is your drive and what have you got partitioned as c & d

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
C: is about 10gb (the partition I am using), I would like to take most but not all of D: (which still has old files and folders in it). I assume I will have to format this drive before doing the resizing? By the way, about 40gb of 60gb is free on D: drive.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
You say C is the drive you are using isn't this the one that won't work?

anyway what I would do if C is the one that is no good right now and you have xp on D I would make sure I have everthing off C I would then reformat C and leave it at 10gigs or 5gigs and have this one as my systemdrive that holds Windows the Idea behind this (some will disagree) is all your programs can live on D drive with the data so if windows crashes all you have to do is rebuild C if things get real bad like now you know you can safley format C and all you loose is windows which you can then reload. The idea of having 10gigs is so you can leave room for expasion or for some programs that refuse to run unless they are on C. I have seen it where some disk are partitioned to have windows on C programs on D and data on E.
or you can split c into 2x5gigs then having a 5 gig c & 5 gig D load windows get it all updated then backup c to D. this way if C crashes you just have to load windows without updating and restore it back from D.
Ther are many options (i have mine split and run 98 on 1 and XP on another partition)

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I mean D: sorry, my mistake.

Ok, that sounds a bit too complicated for me, How about this:

I have all my programs on D: (when it is resized), and I keep a backup of all my files on C: (which will be smaller), that way, if the computer crashes again I could get windows back onto D: and just restore all my files to it again.

Edited by ampflex, 03 June 2005 - 09:44 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
No just leave c at 10gigs and install windows on C
leave programs and data on D
remember C is the one that will most likley crash and it all seems to run
smoother if windows is on C

Edited by peterm, 03 June 2005 - 09:50 PM.

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok, but does that mean I will have to re-install windows again? remember, C: is the largest partition currently but I am using D: which is 10gb.

Also, will having all programs and files on a different partition slow my applications down?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Sorry My mistake
I read it that C was 10gig and D was 60gigs oops
Ok we can repartition I woud think about reformating C if you have everything off? after all you do have a bad install of windows there
or we can try and remove the old windows (am i getting this right about an old copy of windows on c)
PS back soon time for a beer

Edited by peterm, 03 June 2005 - 10:01 PM.

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok, I re-format C: after I get back ups onto some disks just in case anything goes wrong. Yes, there is a corrupted version windows in C:

hope that wasn't offensive :tazz:

Edited by ampflex, 04 June 2005 - 06:13 PM.