Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MCSE VS CCNA

• Please log in to reply

GmanSman

GmanSman

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, I hope i stated this question properly if not let me explain.

With the economy bent out of shape now is the best time to knock out some certifications. My current choices are MCSE and CCNA.

I am almost done with Todd Lammle: CCNA Exam 640-802 Study Guide and ive been working on Thomson Enhanced MCSE Exam #70-290

Now I have to make a choice on which path I will take as both provide higher exams after completing either the MCSE or CCNA.

My view is quite narrow.

I see CCNA as more of a benefit if your working on the Enterprise level.

I see MCSE as more of a benefit at the tech 1, tech 2 and tech3 level.

Maybe you guys can provide some insight to this question.

Thanks in advance- GmanSman

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depending on where you want to end up...and what you want to end up doing....they are worth different things

if you're wanting to be an administrator of windows systems...you're going to want to be able to do windows stuff....the CCNA is all about cisco equipment and high(er) level networking things (routing etc...)....which won't help you fix a DLL issue....but the MCSE won't tell you the difference between BGP and EIGRP

If you've got the resources it would be nice to have both

what's your desired job?

GmanSman

GmanSman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Good question:

I have my degree in network communication management. and I am currently a level 3 Help Desk Support. I manage 50 users and work with active directory to do so.

I know I don't want to be at L3HS for the rest of my life and to be quite honest, the work is getting very boring and redundant at this point.

I guess proper matriculation would evolve into a Network Admin but I am not sure if that is my desired job. Don't get me wrong I like what I do, I just don't find it interesting for the current dollar amount.

What doors open up if you have both, do recommend getting both?