Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Acting "Funny" & Very Slow Internet

• Please log in to reply

Sinsear

Sinsear

• Pip
  • 2 posts
About 4 months ago, I woke up and attempted to turn my computer on, the light lit green and then instantly shut off. I tried several more times, with the same outcome. I own a Dell XPS 600 by the way;

Specs:
Windows XP Media Center Edition
320 GB Hard drive
3 GB RAM
Dual 512 MB nVidia GeForce 7800 FX video cards
SoundBlaster x-Fi sound card

The rest I'm not so familiar with...Back to my question.

I brought it to a local computer "expert" who deducted the problem to be the motherboard. He replaced the motherboard for a hefty $550 fee, which included about 2 hours worth of labor (for what was probably a 30 minute job). He brought the computer back, I turned it on, and voila, it "worked". Soon after I shut it off to go to work, upon my return, I turned it back on (sorta), the tower turned on, and the monitor stayed in Stand By mode. I contacted the computer guy once more, his diagnoses was that the motherboard he put in to replace the faulty motherboard was itself; faulty. He replaced it once more, and on top of that rolled back my PC WAAAAYYYY back (somehow), information I desperately needed was lost.

I recieved the computer back once again, and once again, in (pardon my French) piss poor shape. My taskbar is changing from Windows Classic to Windows XP style and back again, sometimes it even mixes the two. My internet is running at 56k speeds (literally) and I have Comcast Cable as my ISP, I ran a speed test and it says my upstream and downstream are where they should be. Windows Audio in the Services (Local) portion of my computer is constantly stopped and I have to start it again to hear sounds. My hard drive is mirrored I now have a C: and a J: ... Both of which contain the same information, difference being, the J: drive doesn't open most of the files it contains, which are just carbon copies of my C: My computer itself is running at sufficient and normal speed, but my internet is very very very slow. And the PC as a whole is just acting, well, weird.

So, I ask you, no, beg of you to help me out. I paid $3,500 for this PC so it would last me a few years without upgrades. Now, I feel like I'm using some old P.o.S. from '82, I don't even dare to run my high end games on it right now, I'm too afraid. And I bought it primarily as a gaming and sound production computer, since I am a music engineer and producer, and a huge gaming fanatic, it WAS the best of both worlds and I need to be there once again.

Advertisements

Sinsear

Sinsear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows along with all of the drivers. But, for some reason, I still cannot access the internet period, whereas before, it was just extremely slow.

When I enter ipconfig in the command prompt, it doesn't give me any IP address or anything, as if my modem and my computer are not talking.

Any help?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
While installing Xp did it ask you about setting up Network?
Did you tell it no?
If so that is the problem.
You will have to manually set it up but first we need to make sure your nic card is being seen by the system

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

Now in the list do you see anything with a Yellow Exclamation mark or a Red X?
If so please reply back with those items