Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SLI or single card

• Please log in to reply

db61

db61

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am in the process of building a new computer and would like to ask those in the know how much is gained by adding a second video card. The mother board will be EVGA's 132-BL-E758-A1 with an itel i7 920. The cards I am considering are the EVGA GeForce GTX 285 for the single card application and if I go duel card they would be EVGA GeForce GTX 275s. I haven't been able to find an article that shows the actual difference an SLI set up makes. If anyone knows where I can find this information I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks db61

Advertisements

db61

db61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Answering my own inquiry. On Tom's Hardware site there is a very good article about this topic. Just go to SLI / Crossfire Faq. Hope this helps others..db61

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
IMO I would go single card. The reason for this is because when Windows 7 comes out, DirectX 11 will come with it. If you are in need of more power in the future, you could swap cards for a better performing DirectX 11 card.

PS: Just built a computer for a friend, with an Intel i7 CPU, 6GB of DDR3, and ONE Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB which ran Crysis on "Very High" with smooth frame rates.

http://www.tomshardw...gtx,2270-4.html

Edited by jackflash1991, 04 May 2009 - 11:22 AM.

db61

db61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:) Jackflash1991--Good information and I thank you. I am building this high end system over the months and am going to be done about Christmas of this year. So I will wait..Thanks again. bd61..

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
It makes more sense to buy the system all at once rather than over several months. Over several months, prices will drop, and new technology will come out. By Christmas time, you could get a much better system for the same price, or the same system for much cheaper.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

It makes more sense to buy the system all at once rather than over several months. Over several months, prices will drop, and new technology will come out. By Christmas time, you could get a much better system for the same price, or the same system for much cheaper.

I agree 100% and I also wanted to add that if you are buying from an online store and end up having a component not work properly or not work at all, then the return period(often 30 days) will be over. That means you will have to contact the manufacturer directly which tends to be much more of a hassle and time consuming (some are better than others) than dealing with the online store. i.e. Newegg.com

I would say unless you find an unbelievable deal, buy it all at once like Stettybet0 recommended.