Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect 2 Internet ! Ethernet problem ?, LAN connection pro

• Please log in to reply

agent007

agent007

• Pip
  • 3 posts
There's a problem with my Ethernet connection, I just can't seem to get connected ! . At times, it works for an hour, before the connection turns local and then I just got to "network and sharing ceneter" and fiddle and diagnose for a wuarter of an hour and hopefully the connection'd be back.

The surprising thing about this is that the same Ethernet connection works when i used the same ethernet wire on another laptop, it worked seamlessly. Is there a possibly that my Ethernet card's got a hardware problem ?. Please reply - I haven't been online for quite some time and it's getting real frustrating.

Thanks

Advertisements

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hello, agent007, and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I'm SongCloud and I'll be helping you out today.

It definitely sounds to me like a hardware issue. Is this issue happening on a desktop machine or on a laptop? It is possible that the card/chip is overheating which is why it works for a while and then just dies. If it is on a desktop, I would get a network card and pop that in the machine to test it. If this one works with no issues then the other network card or onboard networking chip is causing the issue. If it is on a laptop, I would check into getting either a PCMCIA network card, or a USB network adapter and seeing if that takes care of the issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need more help.

agent007

agent007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer is a laptop. I don't know whether what i did was use a USB network adapter (in fact I don't even know what is an adapter- I reckon it's a hardware inside the laptop), but when I tried connecting the router using a USB wire, it couldn't find the driver and I don;t have a cd to install it.

Are you sure it's a hardware problem with the Ethernet card ?. It'd be very helpful if there was anyone there who had actually had such a problem It always works for some time before dying out and I really don't want to end up with a 120$ bill and still the lingering inability to connect to the internet.

Thnxs