Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor randomly goes blank

• Please log in to reply

DkChoco

DkChoco

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Monitor randomly goes blank

Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop setup, with an LCD monitor. It's approx. 4-1/2 yrs. old and until now, I've had no hardware related problems.

I leave my monitor on 24/7. I do not use Standby or Hibernate but have my monitor set to shut down after a certain amount of time. I've avoided using a screensaver, until this problem started.

A few weeks ago, my monitor started going blank ocassionally. At first, it would happen when I brought back the display, i.e. moved mouse, after being away for awhile and started opening windows, or started up my browser or email program. I never thought to turn my monitor off, then on again, at the time. I'd just come back to it later, and when I was lucky it would come back on.

However, first thing this morning I loaded up my browser, and seconds later my monitor went blank. Shut off monitor, turned it on again, everything was fine for a few seconds. Repeated shut off/on a few times. After which, no problem my monitor may not go blank for the entire day. It's not predictable. I've no problem with how the display looks.

I'd sure appreciate any input, as hardware isn't my specialty. :) Naturally, I'd rather not hear my monitor is on it's way out. :)

Thanks for taking the time. :)

Advertisements

DkChoco

DkChoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've waited patiently, and I've got the feeling I'm on everyone's ignore list. :) Either that, or there's nothing to suggest.

I thought I provided enough details as to what's happening, and when. Are there any possibilities at all, e.g. video, etc., other than my monitor itself being the problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry for the long response time. I have read your description several times and from what you are describing the monitor is about to die. I have seen this happen allot with my own monitors.
Sometimes the picture will curve in on the sides. Other times the colors will get crazy when the color guns inside start to go out.
In your case the monitor is just shutting off or losing signal. I would suggest buying a new one and using this one as a emergency backup if needed. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you but the end is near for your monitor :)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,

My name is Cbarnard I hope I may be of some assistance to you.

Please keep in mind this is not our job and I'm not here 24\7.

It can take a little bit of time for me to reply back to you, if it has been more than 48hrs since a reply, please PM me and I will be with you as soon as possible.

With that said lets take a look and get this problem taken care of.

I've waited patiently, and I've got the feeling I'm on everyone's ignore list. sad.gif Either that, or there's nothing to suggest.

We try to help people that have older posts first, there aren't always people on that have the expertise to deal with certain issues. NO one is ignoring you.

Someone other than myself could be working on a reply right now. Some problems take a large amount of research to provide an appropriate response. We don't want to give you bad advice and harm your computer.

There are several things to suggest. There always is... It is just sometimes it isn't what people want suggested.

However, first thing this morning I loaded up my browser, and seconds later my monitor went blank. Shut off monitor, turned it on again, everything was fine for a few seconds. Repeated shut off/on a few times. After which, no problem my monitor may not go blank for the entire day. It's not predictable. I've no problem with how the display looks.

It sounds like your monitor is on the way out. You will probably have to purchase another soon.

Lets just check a few things maybe we will get lucky.

How long is the monitor staying blank?

Check the connection to and from the monitor from the rear I\O panel

Do you have a second type of connection you can try? (DVI, HDMI, D-sub)

Naturally, I'd rather not hear my monitor is on it's way out.

I don't think any one wants to hear that...

Lets test the monitor to see if it is the problem.

Do you have a second computer (anywhere) that you can test your monitor on.
Or a second monitor you can try on your computer

If either setup works then it is related to your motherboard.(MOBO)

Click (Windows button - Pause Break) like you would Ctrl- Alt -Del

Now click on the hardware tab> device manager

Scroll down do you see any red or orange question marks or exclamation points?

If you do what are they?

Have you updated the drivers for your MOBO and other hardware?

Click here for the driver updates for your computer.

You will just have to fill in some specific info.

Update the video on your computer for now. until we figure this out. After that you can update the rest of the drivers.

let me know how this works.

Good luck

Cbarnard

DkChoco

DkChoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Please keep in mind this is not our job and I'm not here 24\7.

I understand perfectly, since I help on OS forums myself. I just kinda saw my post going back there a ways, but I realize nobody is obligated to respond at all.  :)

My monitor stays blank, unless I turn it off and on again a few/several times. It won't just suddenly come back on by itself. As long as I'm using my computer, usually it stays on. Leave it for a good while, which I have since my last reply, come back and same thing.

Check the connection to and from the monitor from the rear I\O panel.
Do you have a second type of connection you can try? (DVI, HDMI, D-sub)

I have checked the connections for the monitor, including the back panel. I don't even know what DVI, etc. is :) , but I don't have another type of connection.

Do you have a second computer (anywhere) that you can test your monitor on.Or a second monitor you can try on your computer

No, I don't. Nor do I have very easy access to anything I can use, so that's one very useful step I'll have to skip... at least for now. 

Device Manager was one of the first things I checked. No, there are no problems. I would have provided that info. before, tho I probably should have regardless.  

Have you updated the drivers for your MOBO and other hardware?

I updated my sound and graphics drivers, a yr. after I got my PC. I didn't update the chipset drivers, but there's no update for them, as far as I can tell. The latest are dated 2003. Dell installed my OS in Jan '04. 

I hate to admit it, but I got to thinking :) .. about the dust bunny situation. It's long overdue, for reasons beyond my control. I wonder if that could be the main cause? Yikes!

Anyway, I'm sorry for making you feel pressured. I do sincerely appreciate your time and help, both of you. I'll be in touch.

Thank you so much. :)

Edited by DkChoco, 02 May 2009 - 10:22 PM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Dustbunnies could be the issue:

That was one more thing I was thinking of, but I had failed to mention in my first post.

You monitor could very well be over heating and shutting down.

I would also check for dust in the tower.

I'm sorry if my questions seem basic as you know in a forum setting it is impossible to know how much the person on the other end knows.
So we have to take a basic approach.

Computer problems can be very frustrating, and they can get the best of us...
I can usually help other people better than I can help myself.(Because I'm not emotionally attached to the problem) But I always will figure out a fix...

If your monitor continues it's problems I would think about a new one.

let me know how it works out...

Good luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 02 May 2009 - 10:29 PM.

DkChoco

DkChoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I should know better than not to provide more info., as to 'what' I have checked. Once again, I apologize for my impatience.

Can one use a can of compressed air inside the vents on the monitor itself? I've never had a flat panel before... and really haven't been into computers long enough to have found it necessary to do something like that. The last system I had was an antique. Good for learning tho! :)

I just hope it hangs in there, 'til I can get someone to lend me a hand.

I'll be in touch. Again, thank you so much. Have a good weekend.
God bless you.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Can one use a can of compressed air inside the vents on the monitor itself

You can use the can of air.

Please make sure the monitor is unplugged

DON'T tip the can it will spray liquid into the monitor.

I myself would remove the back cover (if possible) and give it a good cleaning. (carefully)

Allow it some time to sit before you plug it back in.
(just in case there was any liquid sprayed from the compressed air)

Let me know how this works

Good luck

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard

DkChoco

DkChoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

Of course you'd like to know how things are going. I hadn't responded again, because nothing has changed. :) I thought it silly to post back under the circumstances.

I haven't cleaned my monitor yet, but there are various reasons for that. However, it's still working. As long as I leave my system running, I have no problem with it shutting off.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I appreciate all your help, but I don't know what further help you could give me. I don't think you requested any info. in your last reply. After I get everything cleaned and still have problems, I presume my only option is to replace my monitor.

I did/do intend to get back to you as to how things turned out. If you need to close this thread, I understand.

Thanks again for everything! :)

Edited by DkChoco, 10 May 2009 - 12:06 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
No that is ok.

I try to get back to people at some point if I haven't heard anything in 3 days.

I guess I really didn't request any info (just feedback) but I forgot to remove it from the post (saved speech I have to use it alot) :)

Good luck

Cbarnard

DkChoco

DkChoco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK.. :)

I know how it is. I hate not knowing how things turned out after spending time trying to help someone.

I have some saved speeches myself, and they're not all pleasant ones. :)

Hope to get back to you soon!

djrage70

djrage70

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm sorry for the long response time. I have read your description several times and from what you are describing the monitor is about to die. I have seen this happen allot with my own monitors.
Sometimes the picture will curve in on the sides. Other times the colors will get crazy when the color guns inside start to go out.
In your case the monitor is just shutting off or losing signal. I would suggest buying a new one and using this one as a emergency backup if needed. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you but the end is near for your monitor :)

I have a Dell ST2421L Monitor that I bought about a year ago and it has been doing this for a few months now. A couple of times it would just flash non stop until I restarted. Recently it will go dark for a couple of seconds and then return and that's it. You say this means it's about to die, I hope this is not the case because it's not an old monitor. I do tend to leave it on for a few hours at a time as I get tied up doing other things. I don't like to use the screensaver as I do a lot of cassette audio transferring and I'm just afraid that when the screensaver is starting it will affect the outcome of the audio (cause skipping). Mostly I will just turn off the screen if I have to walk away for a while. Man I was Googling for a possible fix but found this. Not good.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
djrage70

Are you requesting assistance with this.

djrage70

djrage70

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Actually, I am. Guess I was at a loss after reading this was a symptom of a failing monitor and assumed there was no fix. If there is I'd like to know

Edited by djrage70, 09 December 2013 - 02:20 PM.