Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Denied to External/HDD

• Please log in to reply

redline582

redline582

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have a 500g Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive. It's worked perfectly fine for me for about 8 months now. But randomly it is no longer accessible. I tried connecting it to my laptop, desktop, and my friends MacBook Pro via usb and they all have the same problem. When I double click on the drive it says Access Denied. Also in Vista/Windows 7 the bar depicting how much space is taken up and how much space is free is no longer there as well as the name of the drive is no longer displayed only the directory. I opened up the case and threw the hard drive into my desktop via sata connection and ran chkdsk but it didnt change a thing. I really would like a way to either fix this or get my files off without having to format or pay for a service since i have 20g of music and 200g of movies on there. Any help would be great!

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello redline582,

I'm sorry but we are unable to help you circumvent a password\or protection. Here is the Term of use Rule pertaining to this matter.

3. Geeks to Go Support Forum Rules, Policies and Disclaimers

* Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any Windows user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

Since we can not verify that you are the sole owner of the information contained on that drive, we can't help you.

Thank you for your understanding

Good luck

Cbarnard

redline582

redline582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
It is not a password protected drive. My desktop had an unexpected shutdown and it seems to have corrupted something on the partition. I know that the files are still on there because I've been able to see them though a few disk recovery tools. I just wanted to know if you had any suggestions on repairing the partition.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Right click on the drive and select Properties. Select the Security tab. Check that your group has full access to it. If possible, Add Everyone with Full Access.

redline582

redline582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I attempted to. When I try to change the security settings it says access is denied. I guess i dont understand how the security settings could have changed from an unexpected shutdown.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
I'm sorry about that I thought that It had locked you out due to password restrictions.

And I don't want to break the TOU

Follow what JSntgRvr said to do,

Good luck

Cbarnard

Sorry I would have answered your question, but I missed your reply to JSntgRvr in the writing process.

I would do as shaffer61 said, that will allow you to save your data. Then you can format the drive. If the format still doesn't allow you "in" Then get Easeus partition manager here it is free for home use

Good luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 01 May 2009 - 01:59 PM.

redline582

redline582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Do you have any type of suggestion to help recover the files through software or other method? I downloaded a trial of R-Studio and it can see all of the files on there but i cannot recover a file over 64KB with the trial.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may work for you.

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

Make sure your external drive is connected when you do this. That way it will be seen.

redline582

redline582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the help. I used a program called R-Studio and it helped me recover all of the files.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations :) how is everything else working now?