Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mysterious File type change over network

• Please log in to reply

gr8joel

gr8joel

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Hey everyone,

So I had a few .iso image files that were saved on my vista machine. So sent them to my xp over the network, and it transferred completely (file extension was the same .iso) so this was all good. but...

then i get the same .iso images and go to my dads and send these files over the network to his windows xp and what i get back is

winrar archive?????

what the heck, it was never a winrar archive to begin with!!!

And when i extracted it, it gave me a folder, not the .iso i had originally??

Any help would be appreciated as to why this happened and how i can fix this.

Thanks in advance

gr8joel

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Winrar sometimes associates itself with .iso files.
Therefore, the file was sent over the network successfully. When you extract it, you get the contents you would have if you burned the disc image to a disc.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
so how would i cure this probelm. Should i remove both winrar programs from both computers and then try sending it again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the name of the Winrar archive file?
If it is still .ISO then the file is intact. As edge2022 stated a ISO is sometimes associated with winrar. It does not affect the use of the file as it is still a ISO file but just looks like a rar archive.
If you burn the file as you would any other ISO file it will still work.
When you extract it as you say you are actually opening the ISO file and you will see the folder you are describing and a boot file I believe. This has happened to me with several issues here at GeeksToGo
It's nothing more then a association that your dad's system is making with the ISO file. I hope this has helped and also there is no reason to uninstall Winrar, it is just a little annoying to have.

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 May 2009 - 09:06 AM.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
So basically your telling me that my dads computer is handling the .iso with winrar.

When I happened to right-click and go to properties with the "winrar" looking file, it says that the file extensions is a rar archive( not an iso, so this leads me to believe that the file type was not preserved during the transfer but anyways lol). Therefore when I tried to mount the .iso image with daemon tools( this is a program for mounting .iso images), it didnt recognize it and didnt even see it in the explore window when i tried to open it.

Should I try associating the "winrar" looking file with my program?

as far as i know, i believe i can right click on the "winrar" looking file and click "open with' and select the program to open it with.

Would you suggest me to do this?

another question, if i were to remove winrar from both computers, would this take care of the problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Removing Winrar would stop the association problem. When you right click on a known good ISO file on your dads system and tell it to extract, does it show 2 items?
One should be a Boot" and the other will be Folder. Let me know what you discover. I just checked my Iso file and it does show as a winrar icon but the extension on it says .ISO

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 May 2009 - 06:13 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You might want to just change the file extension to .iso and try mounting the image again with daemon tools.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
I finally resovled the problem. Thanks guys I appreciate all your help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you share how it was resolved? This could help someone else with the same problem. With that I just want to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Yes basically what I needed to do was uninstall the program WinRAR from both computers. (ps: this was not a necesary thing to do in the first place but i did it anyways). Then i resent the files from one computer to the next, and the extension read .iso

Afterwards I was able to mount the iso image yousing daemon tools.

The alternative thing to do here was to leave WinRAR on both computers and just associate the "winrar archive" looking file with daemon tools.

Once again Thanks to all who helped.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to see how this was resolved. :)
Hope to see you around G2G soon!