Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd burn problems

• Please log in to reply

BobF

BobF

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a dvd burner that will write to a rw disc, but not to a -r disc. also is it possible to have bad discs? Or is the dvd laser not powerful enough to burn a -r disc but is powerful enough to burn a rw? i ask this because I've heard in the past that cd and dvd burners burn at different power levels, is this true?

I tried 3 dvd discs the other day while trying to burn a backup copy of my photos. I tried both Nero 6 and Roxio. Both programs acted as though they were burning, there was no error messages of any kind, but when I attempted to view the dvd there was nothing on it. It was blank. I did this 3 times with 3 discs with the same results each time.

Any ideas?

Edited by BobF, 22 May 2005 - 10:19 PM.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi there! If you click the "PM" button at the bottom of my post, send me a pm and let me know what you would like to change your username to. I'll be happy to change it for you!

As far as the other question goes, I have moved this thread to the "Hardware" forum. One of our excellent guys around here will be glad to help you with that! :tazz:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Hey Bob,

For your dvd- burner, open up nero and then to the extras tab and click "system info" and let it scan your computer

under the drive tab, which ones are checked off for the ones it support for the write feature? it should be all the way checked for the first 2 colums and atleast the first one of the last colum...if not, please tell me which ones are checked and which ones are not

do the same with the read features

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts

I don't know if the other response will reach you or not, so I'm trying this method. I obviously don't know what I'm doing.

Anyway, here's the answer to your question about my DVD.

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : No
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : No
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : No
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Buffer Underrun : Yes

I hope this is the right info.

Thanks,

Bob

Please do not PM me about problems, post it on your topic and someone will be along to help you, this way everyone can benifit from your problem

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
from what i see here, it should write a DVD-R and a DVD+R, might wanna check your disk or see if those disks work with other dvd burners

BobF

BobF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is it true that during the dvd burn process that it has two power settings? one low power for rw discs, and one high power for -r, +r discs?

If this is true what's the chances of the high power laser being bad?

thanks,

bobf

BobF

BobF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

from what i see here, it should write a DVD-R and a DVD+R, might wanna check your disk or see if those disks work with other dvd burners

View Post

I did burn a data CD on that DVD drive today, and it worked just fine. I don't know if that has any bearing on the subject or not?

Bobf