Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help desperately needed

• Please log in to reply

legless

legless

• Pip
  • 3 posts
during reinstalling windows a warning type thing came up saying "Windows will now choose the best resolution for your monitor." Well , of course a power cut had to be then. Now when I turn my computer on all I can see is vertical coloured lines. Any theories/advice would be gladly appreciated.

Edit: I've already checked the hardware, so that's not the problem :-)

Edited by legless, 01 May 2009 - 03:04 AM.

Advertisements

Sase Sham

Sase Sham

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You can try running the installation again. Or see if you can boot in safemode (when windows is just starting hit F8 to get the options). Is sounds like the drivers didn't get installed corectly.

If you do get into safe mode go to device manager and remove any video card drivers and reboot normally and they should reinstall correctly.

legless

legless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You can try running the installation again. Or see if you can boot in safemode (when windows is just starting hit F8 to get the options). Is sounds like the drivers didn't get installed corectly.

If you do get into safe mode go to device manager and remove any video card drivers and reboot normally and they should reinstall correctly.

I can't see what I'm doing to run the installation. Haven't tried Safe mode as of yet but I'll let you know.

Edited by legless, 01 May 2009 - 09:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If going into Safe Mode does not help then reboot and go back to the Boot Menu by tapping on F8 like before.
This time scroll down to the line that says
"Last Known Good Configuration" and click enter. This will load all the configurations from before the power outage happened. Let us know how it works.

legless

legless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it didn't help, nor did last known configuration. I've decided that a simple format and reinstall is the best method since there aren't any actual files on there at all. It's just a matter of formatting my hard drives without taking them out, since I could do without poking around inside there, now. Anyone got a big magnet? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before formatting have you tried another monitor or plugging your monitor into another system to make sure the monitor didn't get damaged during the power drop?