Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow shutdown

• Please log in to reply

canis

canis

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I buying a toshiba laptop just a month, but I had found out it's problem. When shuting down it needs a long period to totally shutdown but if I using it just for awhile everything ok just when I using longer peroiod, ie, 1 and half hour than the problem came across. Note that my com is clean from crap because this laptop just mean for work which is for general accounting thing, there is no addition software but avg 8.5 only. I had ask about some friends and they dun have ideas. I had try other suggestion and some reply me that maybe it is over heating or maybe I putting 3gb of ram making it unparalleled. Any pro have suggestion? Thank for your all kindness and precious time for sharing. :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Is the laptop still under warranty?

AVG may be a problem.

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Use it for a while, and try to shut it down, then.

canis

canis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That I have try before, and my start up thing just like when i buy but avg only. Still have warranty but the outlet also cannot fix my problems. Is there serious problems there? I had search a lot and found out Toshiba not a good com. I had regret to buy it now... The problem is slow shutdown when using for long period so the outlet don't believe me due to they don't want to wait.
:)
Please help me there, pro... Save me from this crap. Thanks again... T.T

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

and my start up thing just like when i buy but avg only

I don't quiet understand the above.

canis

canis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

and my start up thing just like when i buy but avg only

I don't quiet understand the above.

Thank for trying to help, what I mean is the start up menu thing is normal and like when I buy it, just have volume icon, avg icon, reaktek HD icon, MSn icons only. When open msconfig, there is just few thing. That all, thanks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
My question was this...
If you use my procedure, does the computer shut down properly?
Yes, you'll see limited number of icons, and this was on purpose.

canis

canis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I did follow your opinions but still same, when open for long period it still act like this. Thank anyway, I also don't know what had happen to my computer... Tough luck...

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Note to Broni: Fast shutdown enabled or disabled in the registry, possibly?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
DragonMaster Jay
Are you talking about AutoEndTasks setting, or WaitToKillAppTimeout setting?

canis
Are you saying, that, if you shut down computer right away, it's shutting down OK, but if you keep it up for a while, then the same problem occurs?

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
To BRONI:

HKCR\Control Panel\Desktop > WaitToKillAppTimeout

I think the default is 20000 (20 seconds). Maybe it should change to 10000 (10 seconds).

Maybe AutoEndTasks should be set at 1.

Also, HungAppTimeout should be at 5000 or less.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 05 May 2009 - 07:14 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since dealing with the registry, those tricks should be rather left for advanced users, in my opinion.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Since dealing with the registry, those tricks should be rather left for advanced users, in my opinion.

I agree...advising people to change settings in the registry even with step by step and backing up the reg first has the potential to really screw things up...we have to be real careful here or instead of helping we can cause things to get worse...
with that said I have set both WaitToKillAppTimeout and AutoEndTasks ...
if AutoEndTasks is set to clear the Paging File on Exit (value of 1)..it adds lots of time to the shutdown process...setting the value 0 (false) turns it off and will significantly speed up the shutdown process....info here...

Edited by happyrock, 05 May 2009 - 10:04 AM.

canis

canis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank for all your help, being busy this few day for exam... I don't dare to try registry things. If possible I can backup registry before change?

canis

canis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Plus, did I need to post my log for any pro advices?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, There are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.