Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound Device

• Please log in to reply

brittyn

brittyn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I currently have the VIA AC'97 Audio Controller. I've checked everywhere on my computer, it says it's still enabled and working properly.

I didn't have any problems at all with my sound until a few days ago when I got the Aurora virus (which I'm working on getting removed now, among other things). Now I can't play any audio! When I go to the Sounds and Audio Devices section of my Control Panel, it says "No Audio Device".

I hope this is the right place to ask for help on this, because I can't figure it out! Thanks!!

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that virus may have screwed up the settings and or driver for your onboard sound. first, try updating the driver, using the troubleshoot wizard available under sound and audio devices.
you can also run windows update, and see if it offers a driver update for the onboard sound- this would be under the optional drivers, last option on the left, below critical and recommended updates.
if no joy, I would next check the BIOS, and make sure the onboard sound is enabled. if not, enable it, then save changes and exit.
let me know how those go, and we can try the next step if its still not working.

brittyn

brittyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I've done the Windows Update thing and no luck. I'm curious how to check the BIOS because I've seen that mentioned many more times before....

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
to check bios, you will need to reboot. on the first screen you see, it should tell you what key to press to enter bios (often delete, or F1, F2). press that key a few times, until bios opens up. you will have to use the arrow keys to navigate. there will be a page named containing onboard periphirals, including the sound.
if you have the manual for your motherboard, it will contain a list of all bios settings and where they are. you could also look it up online, if you have trouble finding it. or tell me specifics of your machine (make and model, etc.) and I can try and find it.

make sure onboard sound is enabled. if not, save and exit, by pressing the F10 key.
if you accidentally change any other settings, exit without saving changes, and everything will be restored to what they were.

brittyn

brittyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i can't figure out how to get there again, but i do remember going there accidentally a few days ago. it's a menu right? i did check everything and it was fine.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
when you first boot up the PC, it should tell what key is needed to enter BIOS. its a blue screen, using the arrow keys to move around. get in there, and double check the settings.
ok, lets go into device manager. control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager. scroll down to sound and audio devices. there will be a section for sound, video and game controllers. expand that, and select the via ac97 controller. right click it, select uninstall. this will remove it as far as windows is concerned. then reboot the pc.
on the reboot, the pc should automatically detect the hardware, and install the driver. then go to sound and audio devices in control panel, and make sure things are set to use it.

brittyn

brittyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I uninstalled it, rebooted, Windows reinstalled it. I then went to Control Panel and it still says No Sound Device :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hmmm...its being stubborn. so you dont have an option under sound and audio devices to switch to that device?
give me info on the PC, make/model, or if not from a manufacturer, give me the motherboard make/model (should be screened on the board itself, you would need to open the PC to see it- dont worry about opening the case, we wont be touching anything, just looking for the info).
I gotta get off of the forums for tonite, so if you find that info, you could try to do a search on it- look for manufacturers website, info on onboard hardware, especially any troubleshooting or FAQ.
otherwise I will look at whatever info you can provide sometime tomorrow.

brittyn

brittyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I appreciate you trying to help a computer moron like myself... somebody a little smarter than me is coming over to my place tomorrow so hopefully I can get it figured out with him. If not, I'll come back here and follow up with more questions (hopefully I won't have to!!). :tazz: