Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Office 2003 how other apps are called

• Please log in to reply

speedy74

speedy74

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A few weeks back a user was complaining how she was unable to create PDF's in Word. The problem was the button wasn't coming up, and no matter what I did: repair, uninstall/reinstall, etc. I couldn't get it to do so. In Excel and other apps the "Adobe" button option is there. Basically you have a file Word, Excel whatever and if you click that it begins the process to turn it into a PDF instead of the option of sending it to an Adobe Printer/Distiller. So anyway I eventually resolved it by re-doing her profile. But here is the thing I am trying to figure out how to fix it without re-doing the profile.

Here is what I know:
During the problem it was not in the “disabled items” list.
Working systems in this environment do not have anything listed in “add-ons” as well as the “Start Up” folder.
There is no doubt in my mind it’s profile related. Why? Because after a repair, uninstall/reinstall and what not, anyone logged onto that PC it worked for except for that user. Once we re-did her profile it started to work.

So that brings me to my question….where in the profile is these programs being called? Is this something custom to the company I am working for or is there other ways for programs/add-ons to become available on Office apps like Word and Excel besides the ways I know: Add-ons and Startup Folder?

Office: 2003

They control which patches and what not that are loaded so what I can load, well my hands are tied.

Ideas????

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Office 2003 does not have any built-in ability to make PDF files. The ability is available to add later by various means including PDF "printers" and what not but it's not a part of Word by default. Therefore the problem you're experiencing is probably caused by whatever's being used to add PDF capability to Word 2003.

speedy74

speedy74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Office 2003 does not have any built-in ability to make PDF files. The ability is available to add later by various means including PDF "printers" and what not but it's not a part of Word by default. Therefore the problem you're experiencing is probably caused by whatever's being used to add PDF capability to Word 2003.

Yeah I know that. :)

Anyway I figured it out. The solution was simple, but what is weird is this is the same solution I attempted for the other user and the options were not there.
Thanks anyway.