Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft VX-1000 webcam causes blue screen

• Please log in to reply

harveyj176

harveyj176

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Hi, i'm trying to use my microsoft VX-1000 webcam for skype, but the built in microphone isnt working. I tried uninstalling/installing it but when i got to the point where it asks to plug in the device i get the bubbles down the bottom right saying 'new hardware found' and it recognises it, then it goes into blue screen. I get the following error message;

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP 0X000000D1 (0X00000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000008, 0X00000000)

it's worked before (about a week ago) but i moved my computer since then i've had the problem. When the computer is restarted the webcam works but i get nothing from the audio.

Please help!!!!!

James :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uninstall the driver and disconnect the cam.
Reinstall the drivers and then connect the cam
This error message indicates a driver corruption and the instructions I suggested should fix the problem. Let me know if it works or not. If not we will continue with other options.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for a list of BSOD error codes and what they mean.

harveyj176

harveyj176

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Hi rshaffer61, cheers for your help.

Did as you said but the same thing happened again.

At the point where i plugged it in, it was recognised and then blue screen. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried a different USB connection on your system?

harveyj176

harveyj176

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Yeah, front and back.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please go HERE and fill in the drop down menus. Press GO and this will take you to the newest drivers for your camera from Microsoft and make sure you save it to your Desktop as this will make it easier for the next steps to find.
Once that is done then do the following:

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4: Right click on the Camera entry and click on Update Driver
5: When asked point to where the driver was saved (Desktop)
6: Once this is done you may have to Reboot for changes to take affect

If so then reboot and then try your camera to see if it works. Please let me know in your next reply.

harveyj176

harveyj176

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Hi, the only file that it gives me is the lifecam 1.3 program, when it searched for a new driver i got the message;

The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.

this is the program that i originally installed it with.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it
Put a tick in accept then click on next
Put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder then click next
Put a tick in create a desktop icon then click on install and make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed before clicking finish
Click Analyze ...
It will want to download the debugger and install it...say yes...
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

harveyj176

harveyj176

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 01/05/2009 15:32:33 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x8, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Fri 01/05/2009 13:43:26 your computer crashed
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.

On Fri 01/05/2009 13:22:24 your computer crashed

On Sun 26/04/2009 14:27:31 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xD954E6C, 0x2, 0x1, 0x863F2486)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmmm interesting as all the dumps point to a windows system file. I need you to do the following in order and reply back with the results of each as they finish.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
After the above test then do the following:

Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /f
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem

Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /r
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f
Note... there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS... this can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem

If this doens't fix the problem then we may have to do a System File Check

harveyj176

harveyj176

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Hi, i ran the memory test for just over two hours and i got no errors. Did the next two things you said but they still havent fixed it either.

James

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
how about using the driver uninstaller tool and then reinstalled the cam......its my 2 cents.

harveyj176

harveyj176

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
If the driver uninstaller tool is that within the drivers properties (where it has update/roll-back etc) then i've already tried that with no success, or do you mean a specific program for removing drivers?

James