Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb problem

• Please log in to reply

inferlogic

inferlogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
its seagate

Advertisements

inferlogic

inferlogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
So far i have checked the hard drive and it passed this test. will post results for memtest.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Western Digital most likely from what I found Here

inferlogic

inferlogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
ok i have had the memory testing for 3 hours. there didn't seem to be any errors there. so that's hard drive error free and memory error free. does this point to software then?

thanks

Edited by inferlogic, 02 May 2009 - 10:07 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point it could be either Hardware failure or a software issue. Without being able to get into windows it is going to make it hard, but lets try this:

Go Here to get Recovery Console

Go Here to get Recovery Console

Download Windows Recovery Console
Download, and install free Imgburn
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow the steps from [url="http://"%20<a%20href="http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp""%20target="_blank">http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp"</a>"]here[/url]:
Starting below this picture on page 1:

inferlogic

inferlogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi
I dont think you linked the downlaod for recovery console?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry
Download Windows Recovery Console HERE

inferlogic

inferlogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
This doesn't look like good news lol. i tried the recovery Console. the CD autostarts on boot, it startes loading some system files and then suddenly I get a blue screen with yet a new code and this time someting new! it displays a problematic file on this blue screen as below.

***STOP: 0X0000007E OXC0000005 0XF853E0BF 0XF898A208 0XF8989F08
PCI.SYS - ADDRESS F853E0BF BAST AT F8537000 DATESTAMP 3B7D855C

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This error still is pointing to ram or hd issues.
This is what I suggest you do so that you do not lose anything of importance:

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

This is important that you do even thought the HD test and memory test have come back good and I feel there is still a problem. I believe that either you have a faulty driver, memory or HD. Any of the three is not good. The only way to make sure is to backup as I stated above and format and install XP fresh.

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 May 2009 - 12:50 PM.