Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE8

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I just upgraded from E6 to IE7 and now am being urged by MS to go to IE8. Wise idea or not? Why the need for continual upgrades of IE? :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I just upgraded from E6 to IE7 and now am being urged by MS to go to IE8. Wise idea or not? Why the need for continual upgrades of IE? :)

IE 8 has been out for a couple of months already.
The need for upgrades is because of security issues and the fact that new options are added that IE6 and 7 could not support.
I myself went to Firefox as it is faster and more secure. The upgrades come automatically so no need to do it manually.
You can import all your IE Favorites into Firefox's Bookmarks and therefor not lose any of your important pages.

You would still have IE if you wanted to use it as it is a part of Windows and therefor can not be removed. It is also needed for Windows Updates to function.
I hope I have answered your questions and please if you have any other's I will try to help if I can.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks for fast reply - appreciate it. I already have firefox so will use it now. Is there anyway to turn off the IE8 update notification? I get tired of being notified I have Win. Updates only to find that it is IE8 and not some critical Windows updates.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When the update comes up there should be a box on the lower left corner that says do not notify
Just check that and it should not return

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
OK will check for the little box. Thanks again for your help.:)