Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost ethernet controller then video drivers

• Please log in to reply

musicmel

musicmel

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I deleted files yesterday on my computer that I do not use any more along with all my cookies. This seemed like a good idea at the time until a restarted my computer and a messaged poped up saying found new hardware. It was looking for the ethernet controller driver for my second NIC card. I didn;t have time to mess with it at the time so just shut my computer down for the night. I rebooted this morning and lost my video driver. I am stuck on a 640x480 4 bit resolution! Yuck!!! So my next step was ok I must have a virus or trojan, worm ect.. ran all virus software, malware software I have. All came back clean nothing infected. I then tried to reinstall my video driver. Everything went fine asked me to restart computer I did, then got a message unsuccessful install of video driver. So thinking I have a really messed up computer I go and check to see if I can repair windows with disk on startup. I have a raid config. so I need my handy floppy disk I have put it in and my floppy doesn't work! So I am at a lost here any help would be great. Thanks

System info:
Microsoft Window XP Pro
Version 2002
Service pack 3
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
2.81 Ghz, 960 Mb RAM
Radeon 9100 IGP
SiS180 RAID Controller
Soundmax with legacy drivers

Software:
XP Pro
Windows LiveOne
Malwarebytes

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
What computer is this? i.e. make and model.

musicmel

musicmel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
There is no make or model. I built it.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Then what is the make and model of the motherboard. ie Abit IC7-Max3 (Abit = Make, IC7-Max3=model).

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 01 May 2009 - 08:09 PM.

musicmel

musicmel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Asus P4R800-V Deluxe

Edited by musicmel, 01 May 2009 - 08:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for all the drivers that originally came with your motherboard. :)

Get this Lan driver for your ethernet: Marvell LAN Driver V6.28
and this VGA driver
ATI 9100IGP display driver for Windows2000/Windows XP
Supporting the new ATI SurroundView Tri-Monitor Mode

musicmel

musicmel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have the origanal disk that came with the motherboard and those drivers don't work. I tried to reinstall the video drivers for the ATI 9100 and it did not work. As for the Marvell its working fine it is my other generic NIC card that I lost. In order to network my computers to use the internet I needed 2 NIC cards. Marvell is for the internet and the generic NIC card was for the network.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure what you mean by they didn't work. If the drivers for the motherboard did not work and you say you had a infection then I would suggest that you:

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

musicmel

musicmel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK I am at a loss here. My computer is fine now. All I did is uninstall and reinstall my video drivers 10 times. Shut down restart a dozen or so times, and nothing worked. I go out by new computer tonight unhook old computer find out I forgot a file off of other computer hook it back up and poof it's fixed. How did this happen?? Any clues?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Major XP brain lag. It happens sometimes. Probably just the act of disconnecting it from power completely and the system resetting itself fresh could have done the trick. Sometimes it's the simplest thing that will fix a problem.

Did you make it to the malware forum to get checked out?

Advertisements

musicmel

musicmel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I went there but no one has responded. As for the power disconnect I did try that too but it didn't work before. Is it because it was disconnected longer then 30 min maybe?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it could be that you left it disconnected for more then 30 minutes.
How long have you waited for a Malware tech to help you?
If it has been more then 3 days then you need to go HERE and follow the instructions. This will get a Malware tech to help you usually within a day or less. I just want you to be able to fix the original system and have both systems running correctly.

musicmel

musicmel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Its only been a little over a day from when I posted. I will give it another 2 days. :)

musicmel

musicmel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I was told it is not a malware issue. My topic in that forum is now closed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update. Are the issues still happening now?

I looked at the log you posted in Malware and saw Windows Live One Care error showing up alot and also a Remote Printer also showing.

Please uninstall Windows Live One Care

"In order to network my computers to use the internet I needed 2 NIC cards. Marvell is for the internet and the generic NIC card was for the network. "

I don't understand this. If you have a network card in your system then you should be able to network the systems and be on the network with just one card. I have 5 systems networked together and all on the internet at the same time. Each only has one network card in them This may be the root of the problem as each card needs a IRQ to run and they may be taking the Video IRQ to work.