Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Black Screen Blinking Underscore - Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

DeSypher

DeSypher

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello this is my first topic :)
Now onto fixing my computer
Ok so due to the fact that I was being stupid, lost my validation key for Microsoft Office then trying to validate it through a program, I ended up trying re-validate my Windows Vista (the program had two options, I chose the wrong one). Thus when I clicked it I realized my stupidity (both for me clicking the wrong option and trying to validate my copy of Office), a command prompt opened up, and it said something about the system32 folder (not deleting but I forget the exact word). Anyways I tried to close it but it closed itself, and then suddenly my computer restarted. Now after it gets passed the Acer introduction with options for entering setup(DEL) and boot menu (F12), it goes straight to a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left corner. At first I entered setup and I tried loading optimized defaults, then after fail safe defaults and both did not work. Then I tried putting in a Vista CD, pressed F12 to access boot menu (not through BIOS), then selected boot from CD drive, and after booting from the CD the computer BSODs. After that I tried doing it with XP, and it BSODs as well. I also tried removing all peripherals and USBs from the computer (except keyboard) but still no luck. So now I'm stuck and I have no clue what exactly to do.
Can anyone please help me?
Thanks in advance for those who reply.

EDIT: I still havent found an answer to this, and my computer is dead weight at the moment. Its an Acer Aspire m1640, with a Dual Core 32160, 2GB DDR2, 250GB SATA HDD, 9-in-1 card reader and Nvidia Geforce 7050/620i.
I purchased this in September, can anyone help?

Edited by DeSypher, 08 May 2009 - 02:39 PM.

Advertisements