Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor has flashing menu

• Please log in to reply

CreeSweetSage

CreeSweetSage

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,
I starting experiencing a problem with my monitor yesterday. It's a emachine monitor, 17 months old(not a flat screen).
Yesterday, out of no where the monitor menu popped up all by itself. I clicked it down. a little while later( like 30 seconds) it popped up again. I clicked it down, it popped back up. Sometimes it pops up rapidily. Or locks on. I rebooted.
It kept happening. I checked to see if the plug- in were tight and they are.
It's very frustrating as I can not see the middle of the screen.
I unplugged the monitor overnight. It didn't happen until about 10 minutes after the monitor was on.
Now, it happens randomly. Sometimes it will pop up and stay on the screen for a minute or two and then disappear.
Other times I have to click it down.
What is going on that this is happening? Should I be planning my monitor's funeral?
I checked all the buttons in the front and they are not stuck in.
Is there anything I can do for it?
Thanks, Cree!!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Should I be planning my monitor's funeral?

Sounds like it. You did all the obvious - checked cabled and buttons. Typically I would say try that monitor on another machine to see if the problem follows the monitor, or stays with the computer - but since this is the monitor's internal menu system, I feel certain the problem is with the monitor.

Check your warranties. I would be surprised if eMachine's warranty is more than 1 year, but the monitor's might.

CreeSweetSage

CreeSweetSage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks!
I figured it caught the Swine flu and it was terminal. I guess, I go looking for another monitor today!!
Thanks again! Cree

Edited by CreeSweetSage, 02 May 2009 - 06:12 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
I had the same problem with my 17" KDS xtreme flat

Bill_Bright is correct
I had the exact same problem ... I got another monitor real fast(very annoying)

Now I use my Dell monitor until I get my 37" TV hooked up

Good luck

Cbarnard