Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New CPU E7400

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi all,

I just bought a E7400 and I need a question answered regarding the heatsink compound. Do I need to buy some heatsink compound before I fit the CPU and heatsink fan ? There is what looks like greyish heatsink compound on the heatsink fan but is this enough and is it actually heatsink compound ? This is a brand new cpu from ebuyer and I have never fitted on before but im confident I can but im a little confused about the compound.

Thanks for reading and tahnks for any help :)

Edited by peyote, 02 May 2009 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The heat sink paste will be enough to work. The manufacturers put this on so there is no problem with trying to put the right amount on the heat sink. As long as your MOBO supports the CPU then make sure it is seated correctly and the fan is secured. The CPU is keyed to fit only a certain way in the socket, so make sure you don't bend a contact pin when inserting. The socket is known as a ZIF socket which stands for Zero Insertion Force or simply put it should seat with little to no force. Everything should work correctly then.
Please let us know if you have any further questions.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thank you, I actually ordered the cpu. motherboard and ram that you recommendedto be in another thread about 2 weeks ago. You recommened a E7200 but I ordered the E7400 because it was a little cheaper for some reason. I bought a pre-owned mobo wich was cheaper than a new one but it is for intel chips and the specs matched the one you recommened, this one is a older/dated mobo , its called a ASUS P5N-E SLI. I made a thread just to double check it would be compatable with a core 2 duo and it is.

Just going to eat my dinner and then I will attempt to replace my mobo, ram and CPU. Wish me luck and if I haven't replied to this post within 2hours then you can assume something went very wrong :) If you know of any tisp or thing to watch out for then let me know I will be starting after my dinner, 10 min or so :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will monitor this topic and await the great news that you have it all installed and working. :)

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
... um.. well all was going fine, uninstalled vista, opened up the pc and removed the mobo after pulling everything attached to it. Problem is ...

The new motherboard is about 2-3 inches too big for the case :)

Buying a new case has not even crossed my mind, I thought they are all a standard size. My case looks standard and a normal size and the new mobo is bigger than the one I took out but I cant believe tthis case was made only for this basic mobo I have been using, any ideas apart from the obvious "buy a new case" My budget is spent :)

Can I use a cornflake box ? Haha, im gutted :)

Edit* Im on my galfriends laptop.

Edited by peyote, 02 May 2009 - 12:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I think you have answered the obvious question. A new case will have to be bought.

Look HERE

or look HERE

Sorry to say that the proprietary system has won out on this issue.
You will have to decide if you want a case with a PSU in it or not on either site. I have a feeling you will have to get one with a PSU in it as it looks like your present PSU won't transfer over. If you do go with a case with a PSU look at nothing less then a 500 watt PSU. That will save you allot of stress later down the road in case you decide to do any other upgrades. Let me know if I can assist in your decision in any way. If you can find a case alone at a friends or a used store just make sure of the PSU because I don't want you to have to buy anything else. :)

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I don't wont to get one with a PSU because I just bought a PSU a few weeks ago, its a Atrix 650T ( I know its a unknown/poor brand but im poor) on the box it says it is ATX so does that mean I need a ATX case ??? What should I look out for when buying a case ?

I am going to buy one tomorrow from Maplins, will any of these be ok ?

http://www.maplin.co...px?menuno=12127

I wont the cheapest one possible and I will upgrade in a month or so.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With the exception of the last one, all the others look like they will work. I don't like the last one because I never liked the look of those types of cases.
The only advice I will give you is make sure it is a MID-TOWER case. That way the MOBO you have will fit with no problem. Also I would suggest you take some time and make sure the PSU you bought will fit into the case. Go HERE or HERE and call them. Ask them about the Case and the PSU you bought to make sure they will be compatible together. I like the one HERE as a personal preference. The added fans will help keep your system cooler.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks again for all your advice, i will go there and get a case tomorrow and will post back when my system has finally been upgraded with success :) ... My finger tips are raw, just finished putting my pc back together... just have to reinstall vista now :)

Thanks again rshaffer61

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok keep me up to date and as always if you have any questions or concerns please ask.

Advertisements

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok I purchased the new case, the one you recommened icute with the 2 built in fans, the problem is I have connected everything up to where I think it should go and the whole thing is just dead. The only sign of life is a green LED on the mobo that is on and is situated near the work "buzzer" on the mobo.

I did do some guess work to where to connect some things like the tiny little connectors that connect the reset SW, HDD led and the power SW. The motherboard does not say which way these connecters should be connected nor to wich pin. I had this problem lastnight connecting the hardware back to my old mobo and after some guess work the pc came to life.

Any ideas, I really need help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you not get the manual for the MOBO?
If not then go HERE and print it all off. This will tell you how to hook all the connectors up and should provide a schematic of the board to identify all the parts.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thank you !!! I just read the manual and it turns out it was those fidally connectors, I tried every combination apart from the correct combination it looks like. I tried to find the manuel before posting but no luck. Just connected everyting and ITS ALIVE !!! :)

Thank you !!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Did you get the new case also already? Everything is installed into the case now?
If so you deserve a big hand for doing a great job. :)
Let me know if everything works together please :)

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yup, bought the case that you said would be ok and I have just finished connecting all the hardware, took me about 4-5 hours just to install the hardware and transfer all my components from my old case and motherboard to the new case and new motherboard, also installed new cpu and heatsink. My fingers have blisters :)

I just tried to run windows and windows would not start so I think I need to do something in the BIOS as I saw something about the BOIS in the link you gave me so im going to have a read. Its going to be late tonight before I even start installing all my software :)