Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New CPU E7400

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok well let me know if there is something you need help with. This topic will remain open till we are finished and you are happy.

Advertisements

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I can't seem to get into windows to download the BIOS. I bought this board pre-owned and it did not come with a floppy disc or CD. Is there a way I can get into windows or install/update the BIOS from the first screen ?

When I turn my computer on it starts up as normal but with the new ASUS first screen but then it goes to the screen as if windows has crashed and gives me the options to start in safe mode, start in safe mode with neworking etc etc but what ever I choose my monitor goes to sleep and the computer restarts ??? I haven't got a clue what I need to do or if I need to change setting ? I can get into the BIOS screen to change the time and check the setting etc.

Im using my galfriends laptop so i still have access to the internet and i her laptop can burn cds but do I really need to download the BIOS (not even sure what a BIOS is).

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I found this page with all the downloads for this mobo and for vista 32 bit, which bios do you think I need, if any ?

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure where the bios is coming into play.
When you boot up and go into the bios. The first screen will either be the HD and Time and Date or it will be a text screen with choices like
General, Advanced, Power etc.....
You need to go into the General and let me know if it is seeing the HD there.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I only mentioned about the bios because I thought i might have needed the cd or floppy disc which I do not have because nothing came with the mobo apart from the box. Now I think about it the bios is already there because im in the BIOs screen now in tab "main" and I do see the HD in sata1 on the list, I can also see my ram is 2048MB and that is correct because I just put 2 GB in.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that's a good start.
While in Bios please find the bootup area and make sure the HD is the first boot and cdrom is second.
Now does the HD have windows loaded on it already?

I know it sounds funny but with everything we have done I just want to make sure it didn't get erased or something got changed on it.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Removable HD was 1st, HD was 2nd and CDROM was third so I have changed the order like you said. When I restart it still just loads the black and white start windows in safe mode screen then restarts if I select any option. Windows is on the hard disc as I formatted last night then reinstalled after realising my case was too small so it should be there. I put the Vista disc in the pc to try format and do a fresh install but I cant even get to that screen.

I'm not sure if this matter but just so you know, When I purchased my computer a couple of years ago I got vista basic with it but I think it is a "OEM" version. Would the disc be tied to my old cpu or mobo ??? I read that after installing a new mobo then a fresh install may be needed in the worste scenearo but I can't even format the HD and do a fresh intstall .. weird

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OEM's are indeed married to the original system as they will normally include the drivers for that system.
If the system still does not boot then Please go back to bios and change boot sequence to make the CDrom first and the HD second. Make sure you have your Vista cd in the cdrom drive at this point. Once Save and Exit the system should reboot and ask you to hit any key to boot to cdrom.
Tap a key and see if you can get back to setup windows again. Since you just installed it then it won't be a problem to format and reinstall it.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok I changed the sequence as you said and I have managed to get past the windows recovery screen. Im installing Vista now as I type and luckly it looks like it is installing but VERY VERY slowly, it didn't install this slowly with my other system it is almost as if it is stalling/frezeing the resuming after a few minutes I can't complain because it is installing and I was worried that I might have had to go and buy a new OS and im already well over budget.

Im don't know if it was because the boot sequence was wrong but I must have tried to boot from the CD at least 20 times and I would only get to the windows recovery screen. Anyway, it is installing and it's looking ok :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations :) another step overcome. As long as it is installing go have a :) and relax a bit. You have earned it for sure.
I will await your next update with anticipation :) :)

Advertisements

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
YEAAHHH !!! After 10 straight hours its all done :) Just installed Vista and SP1 downloaded fine and so did all the other updates all that is left to do is install all my software that was on my other system and test out my new cpu with 3dmark and my games :) This was the first mobo and cpu upgrade I have done and I did get stuck on a few issues and if it wasn't for you rshaffer61 and this site I never would have been able to do it nor would I have tried to attempt to do it, thank you so much !!! :) If I could buy you a beer I would.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) CONGRATULATIONS :)

Finally a successful resolution. You should be very proud of yourself for doing such a great job and being so persistent with building your first system. Now it gives me great pleasure to be able to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.

This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible