Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building First Computer; Need Help.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JudgeJimmie

JudgeJimmie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I am new to these forums, as I found it by a simple google search trying to find help with my First Computer Build. I am 18, and headed for college next year, and I want a nice desktop computer to go with my iBook G4, that I am using now.

I have some knowledge of computers, but I am very new to building them myself and the hardware required within them. What I would like to do is build a computer capable of running the Hackintosh mod. I am not even sure if this is possible, but I would than also like to be able to boot a Windows OS and a Linux distribution on the same PC as well. So it my ideal build will be Tri-boot with OSX, Windows, and Linux.

I would like the computer to be fairly powerful. I am going to Michigan Technological University and I would like my computer to be able to run engineering software easily. I also like to do 3D animating and video editing. I am not a huge PC gamer, as I prefer console, so the gaming side of the PC isn't really needed. However, I don't know how much more making the PC able to play games well would cost.

I would like the price of this system to be reasonable, however, I want the computer to last a long time, so I don't want to cut corners. I don't have an exact dollar amount, but I would like to keep it around $1000. I am building this computer as a graduation present, so I will be able to scrounge the money I have saved, with whatever I am able to get at my graduation.

Anyways, on to the hardware that I have researched and thought would be good so far. This is hardly based on my knowledge of computers, and more on quick put together guides. I am not sure if any of this hardware will work for the build I have described above.

See Post Below for build

Thank you for looking at this thread, and for any help you provide. I do not know if what I have suggested will work for what I want to do, and am in desperate need of some help in this matter. Thank you again.

Edited by JudgeJimmie, 03 May 2009 - 02:40 AM.

Advertisements

JudgeJimmie

JudgeJimmie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did a little more research and here is a new revised build for this com.

Revised Build

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - $200
or
Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core - $300

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R - $110
or
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - $210

GPU
SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 - $90

RAM

Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory - $50
or
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) -$80

PSU
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - $80

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM - $75

DVD
Samsung SH-S203B - $30

Case
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $60

Monitor
HP 2009M 20-Inch HD LCD Monitor - $150
(If anyone knows any good monitors, feel free to help. I am clueless in this area.

Total!

With Q6600 CPU - $845
With i7 - $1075

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Topic continued here.