Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot view most sites that require login: gmail, hotmail, etc.,

• Please log in to reply

souper

souper

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys, I recently purchased a new computer and set it up on my home network. Everything seems fine, however, I cannot view most websites that require a login. For example, going to gmail brings me to the IE error page : "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." This also happens for most things that require a login, such as facebook, email of any sort, etcetera. I also cannot play most games or use messenger services of any type, whenever I try logging in it will search for the network endlessly or simply fail. For the most part, regular browsing works fine- although while attempting to google this problem the entire first page of links on google displayed the same error, even though they are not https sites. Certain other programs might not work due to port forwarding issues, but it is weird that AIM does not work, for instance. I cannot figure out what the problem is or where to begin. The rest of the computers on my network work fine. I realize this may be somewhat vague, and I can supply any info you need to help me solve the problem.

Hopefully someone can help. Thanks!

Added info:

Windows vista, IE8, however no browser works.
No av/firewall software installed or has ever been installed

A couple of things I've done since googling:

Cleared Browsing data, renewed a bunch of regsvr32 dll files, set MTU to 1492 with Dr Tcp. searched for that kb windows update file (kb973143??) and could not find. Tried other DNS servers. Cookies are definitely enabled. Tried IE without addons. Turned modem off for a few minutes. Not even sure some of these are relevant to my problem.

None of this has worked. Im heading to bed for the night, I suppose ill try to see if it works in safemode tomorrow. although that would not be much consolation.

Edited: added more specifics.

Edited by souper, 02 May 2009 - 11:57 PM.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Could you try FireFox?